Former Law Enforcement Officer Publishes Book About his Miraculous Recovery from Spinal Cord Injury

Share Article

The doctors said he wouldn’t walk again, but former law enforcement officer Jay Monteer didn't believe them. Now fully recovered from a spinal cord injury sustained Sept. 13, 2001, Monteer tells his story of struggle, hope and determination in his new book T11. The story of a man who refused to accept "This is the most you can ever expect," T11 takes readers from trauma to triumph on a journey they won't forget.

The doctors said he wouldn’t walk again. It was medically impossible. Recovered from a spinal cord injury sustained September 13, 2001, Jay Monteer, a former Intensive Supervision Officer for the 17th Judicial Circuit, can walk unassisted now and jog on a treadmill. Monteer describes his recovery as a miracle.

Monteer’s book, T11, was released December 24, 2003 (Crickett Books, ISBN # 1-59457-215-1). A story of hope, determination and inspiration, the book details Monteer’s experiences from the time of the accident through his recovery and beyond. The book can be ordered from Crickett Books at or by calling BookSurge at 866-308-6235.

Monteer was shot in the spine with an arrow outside Miller’s Sporting Goods store located in Garden City, MO. Richard Perry, who shot Monteer by accident, had just purchased a compound bow in the store and decided to try it out in front of the building as Monteer walked out the door.

The arrow entered through Monteer’s left side, chipped off a piece of his spleen and shattered when it hit his spine. The arrowhead ripped out a section of the spinal cord sac and pushed the spinal cord up against the T11 vertebrae, causing instant paralysis below the waist.

Because air traffic was still grounded two days after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack on the United States, Monteer lay on the sidewalk, attended by local paramedics and a Cass County deputy sheriff for one hour and 13 minutes until Air Force jets out of Whiteman’s Air Force Base located in Knob Noster, MO were cleared to escort a Life Flight helicopter to the accident scene.

Monteer was flown to St. Joseph Hospital Trauma Center in Kansas City, MO, where a neurosurgeon performed the surgery. The surgeon found and reattached the piece of spinal cord sac, washed out the carbon fibers of the shattered arrow and repaired the spleen. Because of the loss of spinal cord fluid and the extensive swelling and bruising, the surgeon determined that Monteer would never walk again.

Monteer has discussed the accident and his recovery on the Montel Williams Show, the Fox Morning Show and several radio broadcasts.

Monteer is currently on disability. He visits spinal cord injury patients at local hospitals. He also speaks about his experiences to different gatherings. Monteer will donate proceeds from the sale of his book toward spinal cord injury research.

Monteer’s wife was seven months pregnant at the time of the accident. She delivered a healthy daughter, Morgan Kimberley Monteer, on November 18, 2001.

Perry died of smoke inhalation while helping his grandfather after an ice storm in February 2002. Before his death, Perry visited the hospital frequently to help Monteer and later drove Monteer back and forth to physical therapy.

An electronic media kit is available at For more information, please contact Janet Helin at 609-275-1376 or

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Janet Helin
Visit website