Fremont, CA (PRWEB) May 2, 2005
.com Solutions Inc. Releases FmPro Migrator 3.35 Enterprise Edition - New Release for MacOS X and Windows Adds Drag and Drop FileMaker 3/4 Migration Feature.
.com Solutions Inc., a developer of multi-platform database migration and development tools, has released FmPro Migrator 3.35 with a new Drag and Drop interface for migrating FileMaker 3/4 database files on MacOS X and Windows.
The new Drag and Drop interface in FmPro Migrator 3.35 improves the usability, performance and accuracy of gathering information from FileMaker 3/4 database files. This feature works quickly and identically on MacOS X and Windows because FmPro Migrator reads the FileMaker database structure information directly from the FileMaker binary files. Users can easily Drag and Drop one or more FileMaker 3/4 files onto FmPro Migrator, and each file will be processed within a few seconds.
FmPro Migrator standardizes and automates FileMaker database migration procedures including data type matching, field to column renaming, table creation, FileMaker field size determination and data transfer for 8 different databases. Supported databases include MySQL, Oracle (8, 8i-9i, 10g), Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL, FrontBase and FileMaker 7.
FmPro Migrator New Features and Improvements include:
- Drag and Drop Migration of FileMaker 3/4 Files on MacOS X and Windows - The FmPro Migrator user interface has been simplified by enabling the user to simply drag and drop one or more files onto the FmPro Migrator window. Each file is verified and processed within a few seconds. There is no pre-configuration required prior to gathering the metadata from each file. Further post-processing of the database file is required before transferring the records from the FileMaker 3/4 file to the destination database, since there is no ODBC driver included with FileMaker 3/4 databases.
- Enhanced Report File Generated on Windows - Previous versions of FmPro Migrator for Windows incorporated a limited subset of information within the database report file. This limitation was due to the limited amount of information available via the ODBC interface to the FileMaker database. Since FmPro Migrator now reads information directly from FileMaker 3/4 binary files, a wealth of information is now equally available for both MacOS X and Windows users. This enhanced information includes the Calculation Formulas for each field, Field IDs, Field Global Status (including Global, Not Global, Summary, Calculation and Unstored Calculation status), Layout IDs, Layout Names and the list of fields located on each Layout. The list of layout fields is especially important for situations in which FmPro Migrator generates Perl CGI scripts for the database, because each layout is simulated with a series of Perl CGI scripts.
- More Accurate Date/Time Field Info - AppleScript has provided abundant information about FileMaker databases running on MacOS X since the inception of FmPro Migrator. One notable improvement resulting from the ability to read FileMaker 3/4 binary files, is the precise info now available for Date/Time fields. AppleScript only reports that a Date/Time/Timestamp field is a field type of "ldt", thus it is not possible to differentiate whether a field contains Date, Time or Timestamp information. FmPro Migrator is now able to precisely determine whether a FileMaker 3/4 field is a Date or Time field, thus insuring that the column gets migrated to the appropriate column type in the destination database.
- FileMaker 3/4 Database Processing on Windows - Previously, FileMaker 3/4 files were only processed with the MacOS X version of FmPro Migrator. FileMaker 3/4 metadata was gathered via AppleScript commands on MacOS X and no comparable interface was available on Windows for gathering this info. FmPro Migrator now reads FileMaker 3/4 database structure info directly from each FileMaker binary file on MacOS X and Windows.
- Improved Performance - FmPro Migrator is no longer limited to the performance limitations of AppleScript, thus enabling even complex FileMaker 3/4 files to be read within a few seconds on MacOS X and Windows.
- Various Maintenance Fixes Included - FmPro Migrator 3.35 also includes a variety of maintenance fixes to migration scripts and documentation. These improvements include the use of larger VARCHAR() column sizes for FileMaker 7 migrations, corrections to the use of of FileMaker 7 Username/Password info within the FmPro Migrator GUI, and the ability to read metadata from Access97/2000/2003 binary files which contain spaces or special characters.
- MacOS X and Windows Compatibility - FmPro Migrator runs on MacOS X and Windows, thus enabling developers to use their preferred platform for creating the migration scripts.
A functional demo version of FmPro Migrator may be downloaded from http://www.fmpromigrator.com/downloads/index.html. For more info please see: http://www.fmpromigrator.com/products/fmpro_migrator
About .com Solutions Inc.
.com Solutions Inc. develops multi-platform graphical applications supporting FileMaker, Oracle, MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, PostgreSQL and FrontBase developers. FmPro Migrator ( http://www.fmpromigrator.com ) migrates FileMaker databases to and from FileMaker. Installgen automates over 100 Oracle install procedures on Solaris, Windows, Linux and MacOS X. Repgen generates Oracle replication scripts on Solaris, Windows, Linux and MacOS X.
For more information about .com Solutions Inc., please visit http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net.
# # #