Lake Success, NY (PRWEB) May 9, 2005 -
14), the staffs at MyZiva.com, a comprehensive resource providing a wide variety of online educational and management tools, and MyZiva.net (http://www.MyZiva.net), a complete reference guide for consumers, have developed a list of ÂSix Things Everyone Should Know About Nursing Homes.Â
Six Things Everyone Should Know About Nursing Homes
1. ItÂs all about change. Nursing homes are undergoing a staggering number of changes designed to improve the quality of care and resident life and to make nursing homes feel more like a home, and less like a hospital.
2. Meeting residentsÂ needs is job ONE. TodayÂs nursing homes recognize the importance of person-centered or resident-centric care.
3. ItÂs not your grandmotherÂs nursing home any longer. Traditional nursing homes for older residents also provide care for younger adults, for rehabilitative care or subacute care following an accident, surgery or serious illness.
4. You may like the food. Contrary to popular belief, not all institutional food is, well, institutional Â some nursing homes cater to residentsÂ cultural palettes.
5. You do have a say. Residents and their families are actively involved in improvements to their treatments and environments, and discussing improvements in the quality of care and quality of life with administrators and caregivers is very appropriate.
6. You can shop around. MyZiva.net (http://www.MyZiva.net) is a completely free consumer site that provides an objective and easy-to-use resource for prospective residents, caregivers and healthcare professionals to evaluate and compare the 16,000+ nursing homes across the country.
National Nursing Homes Week is an annual observance started by the American Health Care Association in 1967 to recognize the high quality of care that long-term care facilities provide.
# # #