Stamford, CT (PRWEB) May 25, 2005
In light of reports that the recent rash of thefts of personal and financial records has led the way to an advanced form of Âphishing,Â members of AP9 PrivacyMatters, a leading security and privacy membership program offered by Adaptive Marketing LLC, are making a point of accessing their benefits for increased identity security and peace of mind.
AP9 PrivacyMatters benefits, accessible around the clock via DealPass.com, provide consumers with safeguards to defend themselves against threats to their personal information. One such threat, Âphishing,Â uses legitimate-looking emails to ask recipients to Âupdate,Â ÂconfirmÂ or ÂvalidateÂ their records. When a recipient clicks on an emailed link, a browser page pops up that mimics the website of a specific bank or other institution. When the recipient enters personal information into the site, the ID thief has access to the recipientÂs accounts and information. The recent slew of personal data thefts has allowed phishers to use accurate account information from individuals to ÂrequestÂ even more personal information, such as Social Security numbers, ATM PINs, credit card CVD codes and more.
AP9 PrivacyMatters offers the following tips to help you guard against phishing scams:
- DonÂt reply to or click a link in an email (or pop-up message) that asks for personal or financial information. Legitimate companies donÂt ask for this information via email.
- DonÂt email personal or financial information. Email is not a secure method of transmitting personal information. If you need to provide personal or financial information on a website, make sure the site is secure; look for a lock icon on the browserÂs status bar or a website URL that begins Âhttps:Â (the ÂsÂ stands for ÂsecureÂ). Beware, though: phishers can forge security icons.
- Check credit card and bank account statements immediately for unauthorized charges. If your statement is over two days late, call your credit card company or bank to confirm your billing address and account balances.
- Install state-of-the-art anti-virus software. Some phishing emails contain software that can harm your computer or track your Internet activities without your knowledge. Firewalls and anti-virus software can protect you from inadvertently accepting such unwanted files.
- Be cautious about opening or downloading anything from emails you receive, regardless of who sent them.
AP9 PrivacyMatters members can log on to their members-only website at DealPass for immediate access to a wide range of benefits, including anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, designed to protect their personal information, credit ratings, assets, property and more.
About AP9 PrivacyMatters
AP9 Privacy Matters is a leading security and privacy membership program offered by Adaptive Marketing LLC. Headquartered in Stamford, Conn., Adaptive Marketing is a category leader in both membership and loyalty programs, bringing value direct to consumers through an array of benefits in healthcare, discounts, security, personal property and personals. Members may access their benefits at DealPass.com, an online portal for Adaptive Marketing membership programs. With broad online and offline distribution capabilities, Adaptive Marketing offers its corporate client partners effective tools to enhance market presence, strengthen customer affinity and generate additional value through programs, such as AP9 Privacy Matters.
# # #