(PRWEB) May 25, 2005
Eddinger examines the Washington power game in which innocent lives face ruin when they become entangled in a politicianÂs cynical ambition. He explores the corrosion of human relationships arising from egotism and the relentless pursuit of power.
His protagonist, Zachary Taylor Harris, a powerful politician with ties to the Mob, plays a deadly game with the lives of anyone entering his orbit. To keep the lid on his secret he affects the knowledge and certitude of a senior member of Congress and chairman of its most powerful investigative committee. Manipulation, innuendo and chicanery are his tools.
Inquisition's timeline moves rapidly from the paranoid 1950s when witch-hunting is a spectator sport and the Mob is gaining a foothold in legitimate businesses, to New Deal and wartime Washington as government is expanding its reach, to obscure battle zones where StalinÂs NKVD tangles with Wild Bill DonovanÂs OSS. Action ranges across a vast canvas stretching from Capitol Hill hearing rooms and Washington salons to PennsylvaniaÂs gritty Lenape Valley, to the World War II Balkans, and to a federal court room in Philadelphia where the drama unfolds before returning to the nationÂs capital.
The Baltimore SunÂs recent review noted: "Eyes closed Jack Eddinger could work this terrain Â in his saturnine take on public life the national motto could be ÂOutta My Way.Â InquisitionÂs readers may need both hands holding onto his or her soul."
The novelÂs cast of characters includes:
- M.A. Burnham, a State Department adviser and war-hero with unorthodox political views, and his avant-garde wife, a gifted abstract expressionist, who stumble into HarrisÂs path and become convenient targets in his cover-up scheme,
- The Director, a cunning and powerful bureaucrat, who sees opportunity and personal advantage in a new investigative scenario proposed by the Congressman,
- HarrisÂs wife, Marion Hanson Harris, a woman of intelligence and passion, whose fortune and idealism have supported her husbandÂs career, but who now stands as an obstacle to his ambition,
- The beautiful and sultry Lenore Price, who loves him, but naively becomes a pawn in HarrisÂs power game,
- A crusading antagonist, Tom Daley Jr., who closes in on HarrisÂs secret,
- Charlie Miller, a canny, veteran newspaperman with a sense of history and conversant with power and its limitations, who puts the machinery of justice in motion,
- Lt. John Maggio, a detective whose career swings 180-degrees when he turns a humiliating defeat into victory,
- The one man Harris cannot afford to alienate, the incorruptible Speaker of the House, who upholds the Constitution and the rule of law against the congressmanÂs scheming ambition.
The author employs his understanding of Congress, Capitol Hill and the many dimensions and nuances of the American political process to weave a story of power, ambition, courage, love and other virtues and vices imparted by the game of politics.
Inquisition is available in hard cover and paperback on authorhouse.com/BookStore, Amazon.com, Borders.com, B&N.com (Barnes & Noble), Waldenbooks.com and Booksamillion.com, and in bookstores via Ingram Book Group.
# # #