Co-Workers, Not Bosses, Cause More Workplace Stress

Share Article

Sixty-two percent of 2,287 participants in a recent WorkWorries.com survey report that co-workers cause them more stress than bosses and the other 38% say that their bosses cause them more stress than co-workers.

Based on a recent North-American wide survey conducted at WorkWorries.com, it appears that co-workers are larger source of stress than bosses. Specifically, 62% of 2,287 participants who completed the survey on its site (http://www.workworries.com) reported that co-workers cause them more stress than bosses and the other 38% said that their bosses cause them more stress than co-workers.

"Both employees and bosses should take these results seriously" said WorkWorries.com Co-Founder Gary Lahey. "Employees should reflect on and get feedback from others on how they could be a better colleague. For bosses, it's a double-barreled message. First, if they are committed to being a good boss, they should understand and eliminate behaviors that cause stress to the employees that they have the privilege to lead. Second, since they are responsible for the quality of the work environment, they need to assess inter-employee stress and work on minimizing or eliminating it through their own personal example, setting expectations, rewarding good behavior and all other relevant management techniques."

A follow-up survey question created by Development Dimensions International (http://www.ddiworld.com), a global human resource consulting firm specializing in leadership and selection, asks: "In an average day, how much time do you spend dealing with, complaining about or listening to others complain about difficult people?" This question's five potential answers along with results to date are available at http://www.workworries.com.

WorkWorries.com itself is a fully free site (http://www.workworries.com) that provides news, resources and a discussion forum to help deal with difficult people at work. To help people protect themselves from colleagues, employees and bosses, we've built a comprehensive site with over 1200 links to materials and books. The site is focused on solutions versus revenge and takes a responsible, balanced approach. WorkWorries.com provides continually updated content in an intuitive, blog-style user interface. It highlights material from sources such as The Chicago Tribune, CNNMoney.com, Fast Company, The Harvard Business School as well as US and international government sites.

WorkWorries.com has several features for users:

-Tell A Friend: visitors can easily email specific news or resource links to a friend or business colleague.

-Vault: users can "bookmark" individual news or resource links along with their own personal notes in a secure repository for fast future reference.

-Discussion Forum: visitors can take part in a general discussion forum to post comments and questions for others.

Subjects covered include: difficult co-workers, problem employees, bad bosses, employee rights, harassment and discrimination, office politics and workplace psychology. And some examples of resources referenced on the site are: "Coping With Toxic Co-Workers," "On-line Screening For Personality Disorders," "How To Be Assertive Without Being Aggressive," "Overview of the Gentle Art Of Verbal Self-Defense," and "How To Work With Control Freaks."

For further information, please contact e-mail protected from spam bots, visit http://www.workworries.com or call Gary Lahey at 416-201-9730.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Gary Lahey
Visit website