Cordova, TN (PRWEB) August 26, 2005
According to recent news by Free Press Columnist Marty Hair, identifying poison ivy might be harder than you think. Rebecca Finneran, who is a horticulture educator at the Kent extension office, says that there are a dozen plants that could fool people.
So, how can you tell if that weed is the real thing? There are several web sites that you can look at for examples and pictures of what poison ivy looks like. There is also a group that will take your pictures and look at them to identify whether or not they are poison ivy. Finneran states that poison ivy can be confusing to some, because poison ivy can grow at soil level or climb high into trees. Poison Ivy can be tricky, because all parts of the plant, dead or alive, contain the rash-inducing toxic oil, urushiol.
Approximately 85 percent of the population will develop an allergic reaction if exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. What is the remedy of this highly contagious, rash-inducing plant? If you think you have come into contact with the plant or if you think something else has come into contact, immediately washing with lots of soap and water can help from spreading the rash-inducing oil any further. However, unless you know you came into contact with poison ivy, by the time you have an allergic reaction it is too late and you need to seek another treatment, unless you enjoy itching like crazy.
Some solutions available are over-the-counter topical corticosteroids (commonly called hydrocortisones under brand names such as Cortaid and Lanacort). They can temporarily relieve the itching associated with poison ivy by soothing the skin cells on the surface of the rash. For severe cases, prescription topical corticosteroid drugs can halt the reaction, but only if treatment begins within a few hours of exposure, and a majority of people do not experience a reaction that quickly. Many people claim that the creams and prescriptions do not help very much. This rash is persistent and can last several weeks. Treatment can be very time-consuming and costly.
Chemical prescription drugs and steroids are not the only effective treatment for poison ivy, oak or sumac reactions. In fact, for several decades residents of Europe and Canada have consistently and thoroughly treated reactions to these annoying plants within hours, as opposed to days or even weeks, with alternative methods. And unlike conventional treatments that can cause a list of side effects, alternative methods are becoming more popular because they tend to be as effective (if not more) as traditional treatments, with no side effects induced by chemical or synthetic ingredients.
Based on the research, tests and studies from doctors and scientists on an international scale, Selmedica Healthcare offers an alternative treatment to drug and steroid laced creams and prescriptions, that can reduce the irritation and size of a reaction to poison ivy, oak or sumac within moments of applying the spray. SumactinÂ is a single 4oz. bottle that should last approximately 6 months to 1 year for only $37. Selmedica Healthcare, like most companies in the nutraceutical industry, firmly guarantee the effectiveness of their product and back it up with a 100% money back, no questions asked guarantee, even up to a year after the purchase date. Most people who use SumactinÂ or similar treatments report that the itching stops within moments of application and within the next few hours the reaction visibly clears up.
With health trends rapidly shifting towards alternative treatments more people are beginning to realize they can effectively treat poison ivy, oak or sumac rashes simply and economically with safer, natural means and avoid putting themselves or their children at risk from side effects caused by chemical, synthetic drugs and steroids. For more information please visit http://www.sumactin.com.
# # #