Clifton, VA (PRWEB) September 8, 2005
Jordan Zevon, son of songwriter Warren Zevon, teams with singer Simone Stevens on the new tribute CD, 'Hurry Home Early: the Songs of Warren Zevon,' to recreate a previously unheard entry in the Zevon canon. "Warm Rain" is a tuneful slice of post-summer-of-love California pop.
"This is a song my dad wrote in the late '60s that I discovered in a box of reel-to-reel tapes that were sitting in a storage bin," says Jordan Zevon. "I've had the sheet music for years, but never heard the song until a few months ago and it's one of my favorites. He re-recorded it several years later as 'Steady Rain,' but that was also never released. This version is a combination of the two. It has the tempo and feel, as well as the bridge, from 'Steady Rain,' but the lyrics and instrumentation of 'Warm Rain.'"
Executive produced by Mark Doyon, 'Hurry Home Early' is the third artist retrospective from Wampus Multimedia, who released 'If I Were a Richman: a Tribute to the Music of Jonathan Richman' in 2001 and 'After Hours: a Tribute to the Music of Lou Reed' in 2003.
Contributors besides Stevens and Jordan Zevon include: Phil Cody, who toured with Zevon; Matt Cartsonis (Zevon, Van Dyke Parks, Peter Himmelman), guitar on "Splendid Isolation"; Rami Jaffee (Wallflowers), organ on "Splendid Isolation"; Chris Butler (Waitresses), bass on "Reconsider Me"; Last Train Home, who recently appeared on CBS-TV's Late Late Show; Neil Luckett, now working with Nirvana producer Jack Endino; Gary Eaton (founding member, Continental Drifters), guitar on "Mr. Bad Example"; and Robbie Rist (L.A. power-pop producer known in a past life as Cousin Oliver of The Brady Bunch). Jordan Zevon has also just released a new EP.
1. Splendid Isolation (Phil Cody)
2. I'll Slow You Down (The Simple Things)
3. Desperados Under the Eaves (Last Train Home)
4. Carmelita (Rachel Stamp)
5. Mohammed's Radio (The Matthew Show)
6. Boom Boom Mancini (Tom Flannery)
7. Warm Rain (Simone Stevens and Jordan Zevon)
8. Reconsider Me (Alpha Cat)
9. Mutineer (Neil Luckett of tvfordogs)
10. Run Straight Down (Roughly Enforcing Nostalgia)
11. Life'll Kill Ya (Brook Pridemore)
12. Mr. Bad Example (Robbie Rist)
13. Suzie Lightning (Robb Johnson)