Fifty-five Percent Polled Say Heavyweights Should Pay More for Airline Tickets

Share Article

Airlines.Ws poll gets the skinny on whether airlines should charge overweight passengers more for their airline ticket.

Airlines.Ws, an Internet airline directory, shows that 55% of respondents voted that the airlines should charge overweight passengers more for their airline ticket.

Should overweight passengers pay more for their airline tickets?

YES: 55%

NO: 45%

365 Respondents

While a slight majority do feel this way http://Airlines.Ws received far more emails from those that feel that charging more for an airline ticket to those with weight problems is nothing more than discrimination. Most respondents emails were like those sent in from Mike Goring of Kansas City, Kansas, who said, "Charging overweight people more is discrimination. What's this world coming too? What's next if you have b.o. or kids or maybe your not the best looking so you pay more or just cannot fly?"

Susan Jackson of Tampa Fl responded, "No, No, No."

Those voting yes were just as passionate, anonymous from Sioux Falls, S.D., says, "The overweight guy sitting next to me should have to pay for also sitting in half of my seat."

According to the Centers for Disease Control, nearly 60% of the U.S. population overweight and 25% are considered obese so this issue with the airlines will only grow.

So what are the airlines doing?

Well, Southwest Airlines has recently announced that it is charging those passengers who cannot fit in one seat with the armrest down the price for 2 seats.

Southwest's website says: "The armrest is the definitive gauge, as it serves as the boundary between seats."

To be fair to Southwest, they offer a refund for the second seat after the passengers land at their destination if the plane did not oversell.

Rest assured that all the other airlines without a overweight passenger policy will be following and considering such a policy.

And rest assured that while 55% of think such policies are just fine... the other 45% will make certain you hear otherwise.

Airlines.Ws is a leading directory of the world's airlines, airline news, polls and commentary.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Dan Mccullough

320-203-1735
Email >
Visit website