AUSTIN, TX (PRWEB) September 13, 2005
REAL Software, Inc., providers of REALbasic, cross-platform that really works, announced today the company is shipping REALbasic 2005 for Linux. REALbasic 2005 for Linux is a rapid application development (RAD) environment that enables professional and non-professional programmers alike to quickly create software for Linux.
"REALbasic 2005 for Linux is powerful and easy-to-use and it is helping to bring new software to the Linux platform," stated Geoff Perlman, president and CEO of REAL Software. "Because it's similar to Visual Basic, for the first time, the more than three million Visual Basic developers around the world can leverage their skills to create software for Linux, or Windows, or Macintosh, or all three. REALbasic is cross-platform that really works."
To ease the burden of migrating existing Visual Basic applications to Linux, REALbasic 2005 includes a Visual Basic Project Converter and a white paper, "Migrate Visual Basic Applications to Linux and Mac OS X," http://www.realsoftware.com/visualbasic.
"REALbasic is the best development tool for delivering our software cross-platform for all the major desktop environments," states Douglas Lyman, founder and president of AltaPoint Data Systems, provider of Practice Management and Electronic Medical Records software for Linux, Windows and Macintosh. "REALbasic 2005 for Linux provides an easy-to-use and productive environment that is helping us offer our software on multiple platforms and eliminating the common problems associated with other cross-platform development tools."
REALbasic 2005 for Linux Standard Edition builds software for Linux and features the following:
- Visual rapid application development (RAD) environment.
- Highly compatible with Visual Basic and includes a utility to migrate existing applications to REALbasic.
- Modern, fully object-oriented language that compiles to machine code.
- A single-user SQL database engine based on SQLite, a public domain database engine.
- Low and high-level networking capabilities (UDP, TCP, HTTP, SMTP, POP3).
- Industrial-strength XML parser and generator reads and writes XML data with a few lines of code.
- Royalty-free software distribution.
- Compatible with any x86-based Linux distribution with GTK+ 2.0 (or higher), glibc-2.3 (or higher) and CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System), which includes Novell Linux Desktop and Red Hat Desktop.
- Novell Ready and Red Hat Ready -- REALbasic 2005 for Linux is tested, qualified and supported on Novell Linux Desktop and Red Hat Desktop.
REALbasic 2005 for Linux Professional Edition includes all Standard Edition features and more advanced features, such as:
- Cross-platform compilation from Linux to Windows 98 and higher and Mac OS X.
- Cross-platform remote debugging to watch your code execution on one computer as the software runs on another.
- Creation of console applications.
- Server Socket enables the creation of powerful and scalable server applications.
- Create multi-user database applications and connect to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Create reusable custom controls.
- Make secure internet connections using SSL.
- Autodiscovery class for building network-aware applications.
View a screenshot of REALbasic 2005 for
Pricing and Availability
REALbasic 2005 for Linux Standard Edition is free. REALbasic 2005 for Linux Professional Edition, which includes six months of updates, is offered at a special introductory price of $399.95; list price is $499.95. REALbasic 2005 for Linux is available now and can be downloaded directly from REAL Software at http://www.realsoftware.com/download.
About REAL Software
REAL Software provides REALbasic 2005, Cross-Platform That Really Works, for people who want to create and deliver cross-platform software for Linux, Windows and Macintosh. REALbasic is highly compatible with Visual Basic and includes a utility to help migrate Visual Basic applications cross-platform to Macintosh and Linux. REAL Software releases new versions of REALbasic in a rapid release model (see http://www.realsoftware.com/rapidrelease) to get new features and software updates into the hands of developers quickly. REAL Software was founded in 1996 and is based in Austin, Texas. For more information visit http://www.realsoftware.com or call 512.328.7325.
©2005 REAL Software, Incorporated. REAL Software, REALbasic and the REAL Software cube logo are registered trademarks of REAL Software, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders in the United States and other countries.
# # #