DALLAS, TX (PRWEB) September 26, 2005
New York City, home of the New York Rangers, has the most interest in hockey among National Hockey League franchise cities in the United States. Denver, home of The Colorado Avalanche, and St. Louis, the home of the St. Louis Blues, rank second and third, respectively. ThatÂs according to a survey conducted by Verizon SuperPages.com as the league and its teams prepare to resume play Oct. 5 after a yearÂs hiatus.
To find the hockey-friendliest U.S. cities, Verizon SuperPages.com compared its ÂHockeyÂ listings for each NHL teamÂs hometown.
ÂWe thought this would be a fun way to celebrate the long-awaited return of professional hockey in the U.S.,Â said Scott Laver, president of SuperPages.com, a popular Internet directory and shopping site.
Laver, an avid Stars and Canucks fan, explained that the survey is not intended to predict how good the various NHL teams are or will be. ÂTampa Bay and Detroit led their conferences at the end of the 2003-2004 season, but their hometowns rank toward the bottom of our list,Â Laver said. ÂWeÂre sure each team can boast the most vocal and supportive fans. The SuperPages.com rankings simply show how many hockey-related resources are listed on http://www.superpages.com in each franchise city.Â
Dallas, Verizon SuperPages.comÂs home ice, ranked number 15 in the listings. Canadian franchise cities were not surveyed because they are not part of SuperPages.comÂs comprehensive database of U.S. businesses.
ÂWe certainly know their claim that itÂs CanadaÂs Game,Â Laver added. ÂHowever, we will let the season speak for itself.Â
Here is the list, including the ranking, team name, home ice and number of listings.
1. New York, NY (51) Home of the New York Rangers
2. Denver, CO (42) Home of the Colorado Avalanche
3. St. Louis, MO (32) Home of the St. Louis Blues
4. (tie) Pittsburgh, PA (30) Home of the Pittsburgh Penguins
St. Paul, MN (30) Home of the Minnesota Wild
6. Philadelphia, PA (26) Home of the Philadelphia Flyers
7. (tie) Nashville, TN (21) Home of the Nashville Predators
Columbus, OH (21) Home of the Columbus Blue Jackets
9. (tie) Anaheim, CA (20) Home of the Mighty Ducks
Buffalo, NY (20) Home of the Buffalo Sabres
11. Chicago, IL (18) Home of the Chicago Blackhawks
12. Raleigh, NC (17) Home of the Carolina Hurricanes
13. Boston, MA (16) Home of the Boston Bruins
14. Phoenix, AZ (15) Home of the Phoenix Coyotes
15. Dallas, TX (14) Home of the Dallas Stars
16. San Jose, CA (12) Home of the San Jose Sharks
17. (tie) Sunrise/Fort Lauderdale, FL (11) Home of the Florida Panthers
Detroit, MI (11) Home of the Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles, CA (11) Home of the Los Angeles Kings
Atlanta, GA (11) Home of the Atlanta Thrashers
21. Tampa, FL (10) Home of the Tampa Bay Lightning
22. Uniondale/Hempstead, NY (9) Home of the New York Islanders
23. Newark, NJ (8) Home of the New Jersey Devils
24. Washington, DC (7) Home of the Washington Capitals
The rankings are based on the total number of hockey-related listings in each city. Some of the categories checked include:
ÂThese listings represent hundreds of hockey-related businesses nationwide,Â Laver said. ÂAnd each business listed on SuperPages.com is entitled to a free Business Profile.Â
Profiles describe the company and list its address and telephone number. Profiles also provide additional valuable details such as hours of operation, credit cards accepted, brands carried and a link to the companyÂs Web site if they have one. ÂIf they donÂt have a site, we can build one and host it for them.Â Laver said.
About Verizon SuperPages.com
Dallas-based Verizon Information Services, a division of Verizon Communications Corp. (NYSE: VZ), is the nationÂs most advanced provider of yellow pages and related shopping information. It has $3.6 billion in revenues from products including: Verizon SuperPages yellow pages; Verizon SuperPages.com (http://www.superpages.com), the nationÂs best Internet directory and a leading online shopping resource; and the SuperPages On the Go information directory offered through Verizon Wireless Get It Now services and on other wireless carriers. The company is the largest publisher of Hispanic directories in the U.S. and the first to provide a Hispanic online shopping resource (http://www.superpages.com/espanol).
# # #