Parma Heights,OH (PRWEB) October 24, 2005
Holy Name High School, a comprehensive college preparatory high school which just celebrated its 90-year anniversary, recently received a $1 million donation from The Michael and Helen Talty Charitable Trust. The trust was created from the estate of the late Judge Francis J. Talty, son of Michael and Helen Talty and a member of the Holy Name class of 1938.
Benjamin Farmer, President/Principal of Holy Name High School, says the generous million-dollar gift will be added to the school’s Thomas P. Talty Scholarship Fund, which was created in September 1984 by Judge Talty in memory of his late brother, Thomas P., Holy Name Class of 1930. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to worthy students who would not otherwise be able to attend Holy Name.
This award will be made in eight equal annual installments of $125,000.00 beginning at the end of December 2005 and annually thereafter until December 2012. The trustee stipulated that each annual gift be added to the current scholarship fund and that scholarship awards be made only from the income earned from principal resulting from contributions which have been made and which will continue to be made in the future.
Judge Francis J. Talty had a great love for, and a strong commitment to Holy Name High School. It all began when he entered the school as a freshman in the fall of 1934. He proved himself a brilliant student and an outstanding basketball player. Classmates often referred to him as the “Five-foot-Eight inch Wizard of the Hardwood.” In 1967, he was inducted into the John Carroll University Hall of Fame. Judge Talty served many years as a judge for the Cuyahoga Common Please Court. He was named presiding judge of the Cuyahoga Country Probate Court in 1981. He also served eighteen years as the President to the Cleveland Baseball Federation. In September 1996, a baseball field at Brookside Park was named Talty Field. While a member of the Metroparks Board, Judge Talty initiated a program for all Cleveland second graders, entitled, “Fur, Fin and Feather.” In recognition of his service on the Cleveland Metroparks Board, the Metroparks Administration Building was dedicated to Judge Talty in 1994.
Founded in 1914 as a Catholic, co-educational diocesan high school, Holy Name High School enjoys a long-standing tradition of academic excellence. The school is actively committed to providing young men and women a nurturing, supporting, educational environment in which to grow academically, spiritually, socially, and morally. Principal Benjamin Farmer has expressed to the Talty Family the Holy Name community’s grateful appreciation for this significant gift and sincerely thanks the Trustees of the Michael and Helen Talty Charitable Trust Fund for their enormous generosity. This gift will help Holy Name High School remain accessible to worthy students for many years to come.