Park Ridge, IL (PRWEB) November 30, 2005
Liposuction (also called lipoplasty and suction-assisted lipectomy) removes deposits of excess fat from specific areas of the body. The procedure can slim hips and thighs, flatten the abdomen, shape the calves and ankles, and eliminate a double chin. Liposuction is well suited for women and men who are of relatively normal weight but have isolated pockets of fat. These localized fat deposits typically do not respond to diet or exercise. In 2004, liposuction was the most popular cosmetic plastic surgery procedure in the United States. More than 478,251 people had liposuction in 2004, up 24% from 2003. Should Santa have been one of them?
“There has been an explosion of liposuction procedures in the last few years,” says Dr. Sam Speron, plastic surgery expert and consumer advocate. “While it is possible to undergo liposuction at almost any age, best results will be obtained if the skin still has enough elasticity to achieve a smooth contour following fat removal. The recent emphasis on being conservative and the subsequent drop in mortality suggested by new research, has helped to reassure the public that they can again feel confident about the safety of liposuction. However, contrary to popular belief, Santa is still not a good candidate for liposuction!”
Sam will reveal the truth about liposuction to your audience:
- Significant complications from liposuction done by a plastic surgeon are infrequent.
- Results of liposuction are permanent, as long as the patient maintains the postoperative weight.
- The patient is usually able to return to work in a few days.
- Every surgery carries some risk. Potential complications still include bleeding, infection, poor healing, and reaction to anesthesia.
- Liposuction is not a substitute for overall weight loss, and is not an effective treatment for cellulite.
- Healing is gradual: Fluid retention and swelling following surgery may delay the appearance of a slimmer contour. Swelling usually subsides a week or so following surgery, while bruising can last three weeks or longer.
- Because of individual factors, results of liposuction always vary!
For more information, please visit our web site at http://www.prplastic.com.