Orlando, FL (PRWEB) December 24, 2005
The Orlando Science Center (OSC) and presenting sponsor Full Sail Real World Education are working with multiple partners in the electronic gaming, simulation and digital media industries to present Otronicon on January 20-29, 2006. This 10-day event will celebrate the science, art, careers and culture of video games through opportunities to play, connect and learn with competitions, workshops, seminars, displays and much more.
Otronicon will bring together the fun, entertaining world of consumer video games with a behind-the-scenes view of the art, technology and science that form the foundation and the future of the video game and simulation industries. The four levels of exhibit halls, classroom space, theaters and program areas within the 207,000 square foot science center will be transformed into a showcase and forum for these technologies.
Families and individuals of all ages will be presented with a tremendous range of places to explore and experience, including the following:
- Play on more than 100 gaming stations, including Playstation 2, Game Cube and XBox. Play some of today’s most in-demand games (Call to Duty, Gran Turismo IV, Dance, Dance Revolution, Ratchet & Clank and more) on multiple formats, plus experience classic arcade games, console and PC games, marathon LAN parties, and an innovative 16-player game pod.
- Discover how games are made and learn to make your own game. Presenting sponsor Full Sail Real World Education is offering a diverse menu of eye-opening workshops that will explore the science and technology behind game design, including a specific program focusing on “girls N games.”
- Expert speakers from Full Sail and others will host presentations on topics like parental concerns, violence in games, career opportunities and the role of women in games. Leading educators and other experts will also illustrate how they are using video games to educate and inspire America’s youth.
- Experience real simulators from the military and other industries. Check out first-hand cutting edge training, flight and medical simulators that before now have rarely been available to the public.
Otronicon/OSC & Full Sail, page 2
- Compete in daily tournaments that culminate in a championship bout on the 8-story Dr. Phillips CineDome. Players will be matched against each other during rounds of HALO 2, Madden-06 and much more.
- Do you have what it takes to be a Cyber-Triathlete? Compete in the first-ever Cyber-Triathlon to determine who’s the best in three different types of games.
- Win cash, gear and other prizes from Cheap Guys Computers, Apple Computers, EB Games and other retailers.
Otronicon will expose attendees to the unique and extensive capabilities in these industries that exist in the Central Florida region and show how their products blend art, storytelling, film, video, audio, music and other media technologies into a brand new medium. The event will also communicate how games and simulation technologies can be used for problem solving, teaching new skills and advancing organizational objectives.
Additional support for Otronicon is also being provided through a grant from the Orange County Arts & Cultural Affairs Advisory Council. Recognizing the important potential the event represents from both career and economic development perspectives, the Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission is also participating as a funding sponsor. Many more additions to the event will be announced soon as more partners and opportunities are confirmed.
Log onto http://www.otronicon.org to get frequent updates of event content and schedules and register to win prizes such as gaming gear from EB Games. Daily admission to Otronicon will be $14.95 for adults and $9.95 for kids (under 12). Multi-day passes will be available as well. OSC will be open until midnight throughout Otronicon. For more information on the Orlando Science Center, please visit http://www.osc.org. For more information on Full Sail, please visit http://www.fullsail.com.