Austin, TX (PRWEB) January 11, 2006 -–
REAL Software, provider of cross-platform that really works, announced today that REALbasic 2006 Release 1 is shipping. This new product features enhanced compatibility with Visual Basic, simplified localization and improved reliability and stability.
“REALbasic 2006 Release 1 demonstrates our commitment to constant improvement at a rapid pace,” stated Geoff Perlman, president and CEO of REAL Software. “This release improves reliability and provides crucial features requested by our customers. It also includes some key features for Visual Basic 6 users transitioning to REALbasic.”
REALbasic 2006 includes the following new features:
- Localization. New Lingua™ utility enables developers to provide translations for their REALbasic application in multiple languages without recompiling.
- IDE Scripting. REALbasic developers can automate repetitive tasks within REALbasic. This is especially useful for automating the build process. This capability also enables developers to compile REALbasic applications via the command line interface.
- Drag Events. REALbasic applications now expose more events while the mouse is being dragged. This enables developers to create more interactive user interfaces.
- Additional Datatypes. Nine new datatypes, including signed and unsigned integers up to 64 bits, provides greater compatibility with Visual Basic. This also allows integers greater than 2 billion to be stored.
- Enumerations. Enumerations offer developers an easy way to work with sets of related constants, including the ability to name a set of constants. Enumerations reduce developer errors and make code easier to read and maintain. Enumerations also make REALbasic more compatible with Visual Basic.
- Structures. REALbasic developers can now use structures to create user-defined types (also known as UDTs). These structures are useful for API calls or for working with third-party file formats and networking protocols. Structures also improve compatibility with Visual Basic.
Additional improvements to REALbasic 2006 include:
- Better Novell Linux Desktop support. REALbasic now provides improved user interface behavior for Novell Linux Desktop.
- Numerous Stability and Reliability Improvements. REALbasic 2006 includes over 70 specific fixes to improve product stability and reliability. The complete list of additions, changes and improvements can be found in the release notes included with the REALbasic 2006 download.
Pricing and Availability
Any REALbasic 2005 user with a current update plan can download REALbasic 2006 Release 1 now and begin using it at no additional cost. REALbasic 2006 Standard Edition for Linux is available for free. REALbasic 2006 Standard Edition for Windows and Macintosh starts at $99.95 while REALbasic 2006 Professional Edition for Windows, Macintosh or Linux is offered at a special introductory price of $399.95 for a limited time; list price is $499.95. REALbasic 2006 is available now and can be downloaded directly from REAL Software at http://www.realsoftware.com/download.
About the REALbasic Rapid Release Model
The REALbasic Rapid Release Model is designed to get new features and maintenance updates into the hands of customers quickly – 90 days from the previous release.
About REAL Software
REAL Software provides REALbasic, Cross-Platform That Really Works, for people who want to create and deliver cross-platform software for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. REALbasic is highly compatible with Visual Basic and includes a utility to help migrate Visual Basic applications cross-platform to Macintosh and Linux. REAL Software was founded in 1996 and is based in Austin, Texas. For more information visit http://www.realsoftware.com or call 512.328.7325.
©2006 REAL Software, Incorporated. REAL Software, REALbasic and the REAL Software cube logo are registered trademarks of REAL Software, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders in the United States and other countries.
# # #