Branchburg, NJ (PRWEB) February 2, 2006
Storming Robots, the Only Authorized LEGO™ MINDSTORMS™ Center in NJ, sponsored a robotics team to participate in the competitive FIRST LEGO League Robotics State Tournament held in the Mt. Olive High School on December 10, 2005. The team's name is “Stormbotics”, and consists of eight children aged from 10 to 14 from different townships and schools including homeschools, private and public schools.
The FIRST LEGO League is an internationally known robotics program for children. Annual tournaments allow teams to conduct hands-on robotics design and authentic scientific research. At the end of the State Tournament, participants may be invited to take part in the National Tournament as well.
Even this was our first time robotics competitive experience, the team ranked the 10th place out of 50 registered teams, with 43 of them attended on the competition day. The teamsters have learned the technical skills including building and programming in a short time with a coach/mentor/owner of Storming Robots. They have demonstrated great dedication, passion in challenge and learning, as well as appreciation to such mind sport. Even only with the first time experience, they have gained a strong momentum for the next year. Our future team will come even stronger in the next state tournament.
More importantly, engaging such robotics activities is TRULY great “Return Of Investment” from both participants’, and parents’ perspective. Robotics Technology education for youth offers a concrete, dynamite opportunity for shaping the future generation to become groups of “self-thinkers”, and “problems solvers”. Most importantly, it instills the “desire to succeed”, and appreciation of “knowledge is power.”
With that goal as one of the new startup’s principal, Storming Robots will continuously sponsor its Stormbotics team to various robotics challenges. If you are interested in becoming one of the team members in the future, you need to join the RoboClub held at the center. Contact the program coordinator for details. Or visit the website for enrollment.
Storming Robots is the Only Authorized LEGO MINDSTORMS Center in NJ offering robotics programs for children 2nd grade to high school. Programs include RoboClub, robocamp, unprecedented afterschool technology group, off-site afterschool educational service, as well as birthday parties to entice the young to explore robotics.
Storming Robots provides hands-on LEGO robots workshops where children have fun time learning how to design and program robots. More importantly, the engaging hands-on curriculum /activities not only inspires and encourages interests in engineering , math and science, but also builds and strengthen cognitive development, and strategic thinking skill.
All challenges focuses heavily in programming, design skill, and cognitive development, such as strategic thinking and problem solving skill.
Highlights of Storming Robots’ robotics programs:
- Hands-on LEGO robots exploration, including building, understanding the mechanics behind the robots and programming.
- Build Robots from scratch and program them to do a wide variety of tasks
- Engage in friendly contests. Some examples of contests:
- Robot speed race.
- “Sumobots” where one robot has to push the other outside a ring.
- Communication between robots.
- Robot laser tag.
- Stress on teamwork.
- Strengthen analytical and strategic thinking skill.
- Inspire children's interests in robotics and science technologies by developing their intellect in fundamental engineering concepts, mathematics, strategic thinking, and problem solving.
Fun with science for 2nd to 8th graders:
- School breaks RoboCamp (such as Memorial Day, winter and summer break)
- Customized after school workshops at school or on-site
- Classes for Home schoolers
- Group activities customized for organizations such as scouts.
- Day activities for schools’ science field trips
- Birthday Parties
For more information:
Phone: 908-595-1010 Fax: (908) 891-2026
Location: 3322 Rt. 22 W., Suite 402, Branchburg, NJ 08876
Storming Robots is a proud authorized LEGO MINDSTORMS Center focusing on hands-on robotics exploration for children. It makes the intricate concept intuitive and fun.