Sunnyvale, CA (PRWEB) February 22, 2006 –
MetroFreeFi.com, the world's largest directory of free wireless Internet hotspots, has released a survey of the top 10 cities in Maine ranked according to the number of free Wi-Fi hotspots. A free Wi-Fi hotspot is a public location that provides locals and visitor wireless Internet at no cost.
The wireless hotspot data was gathered from MetroFreeFi.com's global database, which includes over 10,000 free wireless hotspots and is a collaborative effort by free Wi-Fi users. MetroFreeFi.com ranked cities by the number of free Wi-Fi hotspots within city limits, taking population density into account.
"Mainers expect to find free Wi-Fi wherever they go," said Scott Lewis, Co-Founder of MetroFreeFi.com. "A growing number of businesses are accommodating locals and visitors by providing free wireless access."
The Top 10 Wireless Cities in the Maine:
(For detailed information please visit: http://metrofreefi.com/stats/top-10-wireless-cities-in-maine/)
1) Portland, ME (10 hotspots with a population of 64249)
2) Augusta, ME (5 hotspots with a population of 18560)
3) Bangor, ME (5 hotspots with a population of 31473)
4) Ellsworth, ME (4 hotspots with a population of 6456)
5) South Portland, ME (4 hotspots with a population of 23324)
6) Belfast, ME (3 hotspots with a population of 6381)
7) Auburn, ME (3 hotspots with a population of 23203)
8) Lewiston, ME (3 hotspots with a population of 35690)
9) Freeport, ME (2 hotspots with a population of 1813)
10) Scarborough, ME (2 hotspots with a population of 3867)
MetroFreeFi.com was created to increase consumer access to wireless Internet. In the process, MetroFreeFi.com started a revolution as consumers began using the site to find free Wi-Fi in their communities. Currently, MetroFreeFi.com is a user built directory with 10,000 free Wi-Fi hotspots and is expanding worldwide. For further information, please visit: http://www.MetroFreeFi.com