Our Top Getaways list provides valuable information for the entire travel industry, including tour companies, tourism boards, and guidebook publishers.
Seattle, WA (PRWEB) March 1, 2006 –-
AllGetaways.com, a leading trip-planning resource for North American travel, announced the Top Getaways for 2005. The first Nielsen® ratings-type ranking for travel getaway popularity and usage, the Top Getaways of 2005 were selected based on the analysis of over 350,000 ‘votes’ by subscribers and visitors to the AllGetaways.com website of over 10,000 destinations in the US, Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico. The results of this year’s Top Getaways list show the popularity of weekend trips focused on scenic driving, romance, and families, nationwide travel, and a mixture of urban and rural travel destinations.
Top 100 Getaways of North America 2005:
Voting is based on AllGetaways.com’s proprietary data and includes the following criteria: destination page visits, trip reviews, and travel guide views. View the entire list at:
1. Bascom Lodge, Mount Greylock (North Adams, Massachusetts; Weekend Getaway)
2. The Adirondacks Getaway (Lake Placid, New York; Weekend Getaway)
3. Icefields Parkway: Lake Louise to Jasper, Alberta (Lake Louise, Alberta; Scenic Drive)
4. Sonoma-Mendocino Coast Scenic Drive: Marin City to US 101 (Gualala, California; Scenic Drive)
5. Adventures in Love: An Outdoor Affair in Chicago (Chicago, Illinois; Romantic Getaway)
6. Crater Lake National Park (Crater Lake, Oregon; Scenic Drive)
7. Redwood Highway Scenic Drive: Eureka to Crescent City (Trinidad, California; Scenic Drive)
8. A June Honeymoon in New York City (New York, New York; Romantic Getaway)
9. Angeles Crest Scenic Byway: La Canada to Mountain Top Junction (La Canada, California; Scenic Drive)
10. Long Island Getaway (Port Washington, New York; Weekend Getaway)
11. Deep Creek Lake (McHenry, Maryland; Romantic Getaway)
12. New Jersey Getaway (Cape May, New Jersey; Weekend Getaway)
13. Chicago Lakefront (Chicago, Illinois; Walking Tour)
14. California North Coast: From San Francisco to Redwood National Park (Mendocino, California; Scenic Drive)
15. Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Gatlinburg, Tennessee; Scenic Drive)
16. Jim Thorpe, PA: America's Little Switzerland (Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania; Weekend Getaway)
17. Black Hills, Badlands, & Mt. Rushmore, SD (Rapid City, South Dakota; Family Vacation)
18. Glacier National Park: Going-to-the-Sun Road (West Glacier to Saint Mary) (Saint Mary, Montana; Scenic Drive)
19. Bainbridge Ferry to Winslow (Seattle, Washington; Walking Tour)
20. Canyons and Rivers: Medina to Garner State Park (Medina, Texas; Scenic Drive)
Key results from the Top 100 Getaways of 2005:
- Top activities: Weekend Getaways is the most popular activity (29 getaways), followed by Scenic Drives (25), Romantic Getaways (20), Family Vacations (11), Camping Trips (9), Walking Tours (5), and Beach Vacations (1).
- Top states: Spread across 28 different states and provinces, the top ones include California (23 getaways), New York (11), Washington (8), Illinois (7), Virginia (6), Pennsylvania (5), and Texas (5).
- Top cities: The top cities include Chicago, IL (6 getaways), Seattle, WA (4), New York, NY (3), Anaheim, CA (2), San Francisco, CA (2), Washington, DC (2), and Williamsburg, VA (2).
- East vs. West: 55 of the Top 100 Getaways are located east of the Mississippi River.
“Our Top Getaways list provides valuable information for the entire travel industry, including tour companies, tourism boards, and guidebook publishers.” said Doug Colbeck, co-founder and CEO of AllGetaways.com’s parent company, Trails.com, Inc. “Tour companies and tourism boards can use our data to support their travel programs, and publishers can use our real-time sales data and consumer feedback to help with current and future book publications. AllGetaways.com has direct access to important customer information along with immediate feedback on how they travel and where they travel in North America. This information cannot be found anywhere else.”
AllGetaways.com is the most complete online planning resource for self-guided travel in North America. Through partnerships with leading guidebook publishers, including Fodor’s, Rough Guides, Insiders’ Guide, The Globe Pequot Press, and Mobile Travel Guide, AllGetaways.com gives consumers access to over 10,000 detailed itineraries for travel destinations throughout the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico. These travel guides are chapters from well-known published guidebooks covering topics such as weekend getaways, romantic getaways, family vacations, off-the-beaten-path travel, road trips, and city walking tours. The travel guides contain author-recommended restaurants, lodging, activities, and attractions, and also include directions, maps, and photos. AllGetaways.com is owned by Trails.com, Inc. and is located in Seattle, Washington. For more information, please visit http://www.allgetaways.com or contact Rob Holmes at (206) 286-0888 x115.
# # #