Nashville, TN (PRWEB) March 16, 2006
Today, Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) celebrates 20 successful years serving the Nashville area. Mayor Bill Purcell, Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority, and Southwest Airlines participated in a ceremony to recognize this milestone. A St. Patrick's Day themed party complete with live Celtic music, shamrock cookies, green candy coins, refreshments, prizes, and decorations welcomed Customers flying into and out of Nashville.
"We are thrilled to celebrate 20 years of providing our legendary Customer Service, frequent flights, and low fares to our Nashville Customers," said Greg Wells, Southwest Airline's Senior Vice President of Ground Operations. "We are committed to the Nashville community, and we thank our Customers for 20 wonderful years. We look forward to many more years of growth."
Southwest Airlines began service to the Nashville International Airport on March 18, 1986, with eight daily nonstop departures to two cities, Chicago Midway and Houston Hobby. Nashville was the 24th city to open in the Southwest system. Today, Southwest operates 82 daily nonstop departures to 25 cities, with direct or connecting service to 29 additional cities, and since Southwest initiated service, it has grown to capture a 45.31 percent market share, which makes it number one in the market.
Other noteworthy Nashville statistics:
- In the second quarter of 2005 (the latest information from the DOT), Southwest transported more than 878,000 Customers to or from Nashville International Airport.
- Over the last year, Southwest handled more than 3.1 million Customers in the Nashville area.
- Nashville ranks 11th largest in the Southwest system with 82 daily nonstop flights.
- In second quarter 1995, Southwest carried 185,910 passengers at Nashville International Airport. A decade later, second quarter 2005, Southwest carried 878,680 passengers, an increase of 373 percent.
- Since 1990, Southwest Airlines has grown 560 percent in Nashville.
"Our growth in Nashville has been incredible, and our 348 local Employees deserve the credit," Wells said. "We know it's the power of our People that keep our Customers flying with us, and our Nashville Employees work hard every day to make that happen."
Southwest Airlines, the nation's largest airline in terms of domestic Customers boarded, currently serves 62 cities in 32 states. Based in Dallas, Southwest Airlines currently operates more than 3,000 flights a day.
Public Relations of Southwest Airlines
# # #