New York City (PRWEB) March 29, 2006
Writers Notes Magazine announces the 2006 Writers Notes Book Award winners--exporing independent publishing excellence.
“Entries nearly doubled this year,” said senior editor Christopher Klim. “Authors saw the value in a truly independent judging committee, free of sponsorship entanglements and the lavish parties that threaten the integrity of the process.”
Klim is the author of the highly praised novels The Winners Circle and Jesus Lives in Trenton. He heads an imprint that restores critical works to print, such as, Truth Imagined, the memoir from the great American philosopher Eric Hoffer. Klim has recently been signed for two more novels as well as a collection of short stories.
MAGAZINE/BOOK AWARDS SEEN AS ANSWER NOT RIVAL
“Due to the economics, many publishers have simply given up on worthy books,” said Klim from the magazine’s New Jersey office. “An increasing number of great books are falling to independent presses. These presses are filling a void, no longer rivaling the larger presses.”
While there is little question that larger book releases have become generic, small press books are typically viewed on only a regional basis. Using its international distribution base, Writers Notes Magazine helps to introduce new titles to the reading public.
EXCITING CHANGES AHEAD
Klim shed light on the year ahead for the 2007 WNM Book Awards. “The award categories will remains,” he said, “but there will also be a $1,500 grand prize. In addition, there’ll be individual awards for micro, small, and academic presses, as well as self-publishers. Unique publishing efforts inspire unique talents.”
THE 2006 BOOK AWARD WINNERS IN DETAIL
Winning entries were awarded cash, prizes, and distinction on three levels in descending order: Winner, First Runner-Up, and Notables. (http://www.WritersNotes.com)
- Our National Parks and Wildlife Refuge,, Jim Jamieson, ImageStream Press
- Renata and other Poems, Renata Pallottini, Host Publications
- Abstract Painting: Concepts and Techniques, Vicky Perry, Watson Guphill
- Poetic Voices Without Borders, Robert L. Giron, Gival Press
- Treehouse Chronicles, S. Peter Lewis, TMC Books
- In the Ruins, Jean D. Minton, iUniverse
- Money Shot, Brian Rouff, Hardway Press
- Blackbelly, Heather Sharfeddin, Bridge Works Publishing Co.
- Losing Patience, Joyce Faulkner, Red Engine Press
- The Discontinuity of Small Things, Kevin Haworth, Quality Words in Print
- Beyond the Cayenne Wall, Shaila Abdullah, iUniverse
- The Chinese Laundry, Robert B. Boeder, Old Mountain Press
- All Shook Up, Mike Harrison, ECW Press
- An Interlude in Dreamland, Alan Robbins, iUniverse
- Teeth in a Pickle Jar, H.B. Milligan, Hand-in-Hand Publishing
- Phase One After Zero: Where 9/11 Never Happened, Vladimir Chernozemsky, Triumvirate Press
- Winter's Gift, Jane Monroe Donovan, Sleeping Bear Press
- Zoe's Good-Bye, Mary Schlangen, Beaver's Pond Press
- Lost in the Woods, Carl R. Sams II & Jean Stoick, Sams & Stoick
- Someday Is Not a Day of the Week, Denise Brennan-Nelson, Sleeping Bear Press
- America's White Table, Margot Theis Raven, Sleeping Bear Press
- Mr.Touchdown, Lyda Phillips, iUniverse
- Firebelly, J.C. Michaels, Philograph
- Tina Springs into Summer, Teresa Bevin, Gival Press
- Vocabulary Accelerator 01, Keith London & Rebecca Osleeb, Defined Mind, Inc.
- Nothing Held Back, Keren Taylor, WriteGirl Publications
- My Second University, Stanciu Stroia with Dan L. Dusleag, iUniverse
- Restless Tribes, Stephen Ausherman, Central Ave Press
- Power Politics: Primeval, Medieval, and Constant Evil, Leonard Smith, iUniverse
- Where Will the Atheists Pray? Life and Laughter in Israel, William Louis Finn, Ruder Finn Press
- The Emergency Teacher, Christina Asquith, West Parley Press
- When Elephants Fly, Carol Batrus, Fulcrum Publishing
- Interview Fitness Training, Carole Martin, Interview Publishing
- For the Love of Money, Shannon K. Nash, iUniverse
- Estate Planning Success for Women, Professor Lynne Marie Kohm & Attorney Mark Jones, Barron Publishing Co.
- Estate Planning Success for Business Owners, Attorney Mark Jones & ProfessorJames Bechtel, Barron Publishing Co.
- Questions and Answers on Life Insurance, Anthony Steuer, iUniverse
- 101 Tax Savings Ideas, Julie Welch & Randy Gardner, Wealth Builders Press
- Into the Unknown, Susan E.B. Schwartz, iUniverse
- How Do I Teach This Kid?, Kimberly A. Henry, Future Horizons, Inc.
- Alan J. Pakula, Jared Brown, Backstage Books
- A Blacksmithing Primer, Randy McDaniel, Hobar Publications
- Sallie Mae: How to Pay for College, Gen & Kelly Tanabe, SuperCollege
- Devastation on the Delaware, Mary A. Shafer, Word Forge Books
- Mastering Marriage, Charlie Michaels & Mike Brown, Mastering LifeSkills Inc.
- Homeschooling More Than One Child, Carren W. Joyce, iUniverse
- Defeating the Child Obesity Epidemic, Dr. Carolyn Ashworth, PSB Books
- Secret Recipes from the Corner Market, Carol Ann Kates, Penny Lane Press
- The Ebay Home Makeover, Alyssa Ettinger, Watson Guphill
- Altars of Power and Grace, Robin and Michael Mastro, Balanced Books
- God without Religion, Sankara Saranam, The Pranayama Institute
- All Eyes/Deaf Women's Lives, Bainy Cyrus, Gallaudet University Press
- The Leadership Integrity Challenge: How to Assess and Facilitate Emotional Maturity, Edward E. Morler, Sanai Publishing
- Health Secrets of the Stone Age, Philip J. Goscienski, MD, Better Life Publishing
- Remodel Your Reality, Kimberly Fulcher, River Rock Press
- Street Milk, Robert Swearingen, Central Ave Press
- The Hasty Papers, Alfred Leslie, Host Publications
- Murder Yet to Come, Isabel Briggs Myers, Center for Applications of Pyschological Type
- Under Pressure, John Sherman, Ph.D., New Found Therapies Publications
- Vantha's Whisper, Sadran Pol LaTour & Vivian Kirkbride, Xlibris
- First Come, First Served … In Savannah, St. Andrew's School PTO, Wimmer
Full coverage can be found at http://www.WritersNotes.com.