Internal Revenue Service Grants Automatic 6 Month Extensions to Individuals

Share Article

As April 15 approaches, some Americans may find that they need more time to file their tax returns for 2005. Online resources explain the extension process, payment implications and special considerations for the military.

As April 15th rapidly approaches some Americans will find they need more time before they’re ready to file their tax returns for 2005. The Internal Revenue Service recently announced that individuals seeking an extension to file their taxes may automatically receive a 6-month extension by either electronically (e-filing) a Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return or a paper based Form 4868. Individuals are not required to submit both. This form is available at

“Just because you get an extension to file your taxes, doesn’t mean you get an extension to pay your taxes,” remarked representative, Robert Hoult. “Individuals are instructed to pay their estimated owed taxes by the original tax filing deadline, and will have to pay interest if the payment is late.”

US Citizens serving in the military or navy outside the United States or Puerto Rico on the due date of the return may also qualify for an automatic 2-month extension and may get more time if they are serving in a combat zone or qualified hazardous duty area. “During this extremely stressful time, we feel that needs to provide Americans with resources to give them the most flexibility to file their tax returns as possible. That’s why we’ve devoted an entire section of our web site to tax extension matters,” said Hoult.

Tax payers looking for more information on the IRS’ tax extension policy can visit for more information on the definition of a tax extension, who qualifies and how to file one. Plus there are tips, suggestions and visitors can download the appropriate forms.


Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Visit website