‘Security, Not Price’ Will Motivate Dial-Up Users to Switch to Broadband

Share Article

Over 70%* of UK households with internet access now have broadband, according to recent figures. But the remaining 30% will base their choice of broadband ISP on features including security, rather than just price, a leading comparison website claimed yesterday.

Over 70%* of UK households with internet access now have broadband, according to recent figures. But the remaining 30% will base their choice of broadband ISP on features including security, rather than just price, a leading comparison website claimed yesterday.

Chris Eagle, Commercial Manager at http://www.BroadbandChoices.co.uk, says: “We’ve been in a classic land grab situation by broadband providers where process have been slashed to take market share. Internet users who’ve not yet switched to broadband are side-stepping cheap deals in favour of trusted brands and features like security.”

As a comprehensive guide to the broadband market, Eagle’s website has witnessed this change in attitudes first-hand. So far this year, 57%** of the consumers who have signed up for a package via http://www.BroadbandChoices.co.uk made their choice based on factors other than a low price.

Chris Eagle explained: “There are a number of broadband suppliers that don’t compete on price but differentiate themselves with extra features. For example, BT broadband isn’t the cheapest, but comes with Norton AntiVirus™, Norton Personal Firewall™ and BT Identity Theft Support, which costs over £40 if you pay for this separately.”

Security sells

In 2005, £23 million*** was stolen through online banking theft, a 90% increase on figures from 2004, so concentrating on your internet security is important. There are plenty of precautions you can take:

  • If you’re giving your bank details, always check that the web page address starts with ‘https’ – this means it’s a secure connection.
  • Broadband users should always set up a firewall to protect themselves.
  • There are free anti-spyware tools you can download from specialist websites.
  • Never open email attachments if you’re not sure where they came from.

Cheap broadband with no security measures can cost you a fortune in the long-run. According to http://www.BroadbandChoices.co.uk, you should consider a deal based on more than just price if you value your privacy – and your bank balance! And, if you’re not exactly internet-savvy, getting free security measures with your broadband is the simplest route to complete peace of mind.

Data sources

  • ContinentalResearches.com Spring 2006 Internet report

** Broadbandchoices.co.uk

*** APACS is the UK payments association. It provides the forum for the UK's financial institutions to come together on non-competitive issues.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

James Bergin
Visit website