Naperville IL (PRWEB) June 2, 2006
Wizdom Education, a premiere source for special education planning and management for school districts, educators and service providers, today announces the release of MyTransPlanner!, a web-based high school to post high school transition planning tool. A one-year, renewable subscription to MyTransPlanner! is $49.95.
MyTransPlanner! was created to meet the demands of students, parents and educators, who wanted a special education transition planning product that students and families could use on their own time, in their own homes. To meet their needs, Wizdom created MyTransPlanner!
“The computer takes all of this information and translates it into a post-high-school vision and life goals, and identifies the activities someone needs to complete prior to the end of high school to help ensure success,” says a parent and a MyTransPlanner! user.
Students with disabilities and their family members use MyTransPlanner! in the comfort and privacy of their own homes to plan to make the most of the time in high school and prepare for adult life. The plan covers high school and post-high school education, training, home life, and community participation. Families can take their well-prepared plan to the next school meeting and obtain the school-provided services that the student deserves.
How MyTransPlanner! Works:
- The student or parent logs on to MyTransPlanner!, and answers Survey questions. The online survey helps identify child's needs, strengths, interests and abilities and focuses on the projected needs for life beyond high school in a comprehensive way.
- MyTransPlanner! generates a transition plan, based on the online survey, which prepares to direct a transition-focused Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The plan highlights what transition services are important and should not be over-looked.
- My TransPlanner! generates a Vision and Goals Report to help prepare the student to self-advocate in transition-IEP meetings. The student can take this well-prepared plan to their next IEP meeting, and obtain the school-provided services that the student deserves.
“For students with disabilities, choices and decisions about what they will do and where they will live after high school is often complex and may require substantial planning,” says Phil Vitkus of Wizdom Education. “MyTransPlanner! was created to help students and their families draw up a realistic plan. It helps empower them to take charge of their future.”
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004 (IDEA) requires by law that transition planning begins once a student reaches 14 years of age. This transition planning becomes formalized as part of the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP).
In 1999, Wizdom CEO Dennis E. Wisnosky was approached by members of the special education community, who introduced him to the unique concerns of students with special needs. Armed with a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant from the Department of Education, Wisnosky took the challenge of discovering a way to use technology to meet the transition planning needs of students with disabilities.
After three years of extensive research, prototyping and testing, Wizdom Education, a fully owned division of Wizdom Systems, Inc., introduced the web-based Wizdom TransPlanner! to school districts, states and commonwealths. Wizdom TransPlanner! is the educator/administrator version of MyTransPlanner!
Wizdom TransPlanner is currently being used in school districts to help:
- guide teachers helping students in creating their own transition plans,
- keep at-risk youth in school, and
- connect students to local programs, services, and support.
About Wizdom Education
Wizdom Education is a Division of Wizdom Systems, a Naperville, Illinois based company that has been providing government and corporate clients with business process reengineering, instructional design, and special education software and services since 1986. Wizdom’s host of special education products and services include:
- MyTransPlanner! for web-based transition plans
- LiveIEP!- an easy-to-use IEP program that puts the power of the web into the hands of special education case managers, and lets case managers and other school staff do work without depending upon network availability.
- Wizdom TransPlanner!, developed with funding from the U.S. Department of Education - helps students with disabilities, their case managers, and their parents do effective transition planning, and bridge the gap that often exists between schools and community service providers.
- EducationLive! is a web service that allows school and community service providers to self maintain and broadcast their specific services to the public and to their school and community customers automatically.
For more information about Wizdom Education, please call 630-357-3000, visit the Wizdom Education Website at http://www.wizdomeducation.com