230K pixel Clear Photo LCD Plus Screen - The large, bright, easy-to-view 2.5
London, UK (PRWEB) June 8, 2006
Sony today announced the launch of the DSLR-a100, its first Digital Single Lens Reflex camera to carry the a (pronounced “alpha”) name -- Sony’s new D-SLR photography sub-brand.
- Launch of first ever Sony D-SLR camera, the a100
- 10 Megapixel APS-C size CCD sensor delivers exceptional image quality with low noise and high sensitivity
- Super SteadyShot inside camera body combats camera shake with all compatible lenses
- Anti-dust system
- Twenty plus interchangeable Sony lens system optics by end of 2006, including premium Carl Zeiss lenses
- Complete system features body, interchangeable lenses, lighting systems and accessories
- BIONZ processor and Dynamic Range Optimiser assure superior results and enhanced picture quality
- Lithium ion battery with STAMINA technology offers 750 shots (CIPA measurement) from a single charge
The a100 represents the heart of a complete system that extends the appeal of Digital SLR photography to a mainstream audience of photographers. The camera is complemented by a choice of lighting systems and other accessories, plus an extensive range of compatible Sony a system lenses including premium optics from Carl Zeiss.
Advanced technology simplifies taking better pictures
The a100 features several technologies that broaden users’ creative possibilities while assuring superior results for photographers of all abilities under a wide range of shooting conditions.
- 10 Megapixel APS-C CCD sensor - With an outstanding resolution of 10 Megapixels (10.2 million effective pixels), the APS-C size (15.8mm x 23.6mm) CCD sensor with RGB primary colour filter assures crisp, detailed images with a wide tonal range and subtle gradations. High sensitivity, high resolution and exceptionally low noise performance assures superb image reproduction, even at large print sizes.
- Super SteadyShot inside camera body - Super SteadyShot compensates for camera vibrations at the instant the shutter is released by shifting the CCD sensor in real time for sharper, steadier pictures. It is implemented inside the camera body, eliminating the need for expensive, specialised optics with built-in image stabilisation.
- Compatible with all Sony lens system optics – including macro, telephoto and zoom models – Super SteadyShot typically compensates for the equivalent of 2-3.5 steps in shutter speed. This allows users to decrease camera ISO settings for improved picture quality or achieve successful results without blur while shooting handheld in low light at longer exposure times.
- Anti-Dust Protection System - The camera’s advanced anti-dust system minimises the effects of dust particles entering the camera body when lenses are exchanged. The CCD sensor’s anti-static coating acts as a barrier to dust, while a CCD vibration function briefly shakes the sensor to dislodge dust particles every time the a100 is powered off. The sensor can be vibrated not only when powered off but also from the setup menu.
- BIONZ image processing engine - This newly-developed processor optimises data from the camera’s 10 Megapixel CCD sensor, decreasing noise levels and ensuring faithful reproduction of vivid, natural colours with rich tonal graduations and exceptional reproduction of the finest detail.
- Dynamic Range Optimiser - Dynamic Range Optimiser assures perfectly exposed pictures, especially when shooting high-contrast or strongly backlit scenes that can lead to loss of highlight and shadow detail. Operating in Standard or Advanced modes, Dynamic Range Optimiser automatically adjusts gamma curve and exposure levels for more natural, evenly-exposed pictures under “difficult” lighting conditions, such as when shooting against the sun.
- 2.5” 230K pixel Clear Photo LCD Plus Screen - The large, bright, easy-to-view 2.5” screen features an extremely high 230K pixel resolution with Clear Photo LCD Plus technology for accurate reproduction of fine detail and subtle tones. The screen’s AR (anti-reflection) coating and Clear Treatment glare-reducing layer assures vivid, accurate colours with a wide viewing angle, even in daylight. The on-screen navigation display shows camera settings and key shooting information in large, easy-to-read text. The display’s orientation automatically switches from landscape to portrait position when the camera is turned on its side.
- Growing family of quality optics - The a100 is supported from launch with a choice of compatible Sony lens system optics, ranging from zoom, telephoto and wide angle to macro and teleconverter models.
- Sony G lens - Delivers superb imaging quality with excellent light-gathering power and low distortion, plus consistent quality over all focal lengths for zoom lenses. Specially coated optical surfaces reduce flare and ghosting, even with tricky into-the-sun shots.
- Carl Zeiss range - Offering the very highest levels of optical excellence, performance and reliability, the premium range of compatible Planar, Sonnar and Vario-Sonnar lenses by Carl Zeiss draws on 150 years of experience in producing optical instruments of the ultimate precision and quality.
The a100 also offers compatibility with more than 16 million Konica Minolta-mount lenses that have been sold worldwide under the Maxxum/Dynax brands.
- Lighting Systems - In addition to its built-in flash, the a100 is augmented by a range of compatible flashes and lighting systems. Suitable for use on-body or off-camera, two flashes feature wireless TTL, high-accuracy ADI metering technology and high-speed synch. A Macro Twin Flash and Ring Light are suited to Macro photography.
- Optional accessories - The appeal of the a100 is enhanced with a full range of compatible - branded accessories. These include adaptors, extension cables and external battery adaptors for off-camera and multiple flash; plus an eyepiece magnifier, angle finder, eyepiece corrector, remote commander and AC adaptor/charger. There is also a choice of branded camera case, lens case and strap options.
The Sony a100 will be available throughout Europe from July 2006.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
Key features and specifications:
- 10.2 million effective pixels (10 Megapixel) APS-C size CCD Sensor
- Anti-dust protection system
- Super SteadyShot in camera body (switchable)
- Dynamic Range Optimiser
- BIONZ Image Processing Engine
- Maximum sensitivity: 1600 ISO equivalent
- 2.5” 230K pixel Clear Photo LCD Plus Screen with AR coating and Clear Processing for image review and function navigation
- Compatibility with Sony a-mount system lenses, including Sony G lens and Carl Zeiss optics
- Bright Optical Viewfinder with Spherical Acute Matte screen, 20mm eye relief, 0.83x magnification, dioptre adjustment and EyeStart Autofocus.
- High-speed Autofocus with 4 focus modes: Single-shot AF; Direct Manual Focus; AF Automatic; AF Continuous
- Ultra wide AF area with 9 local focus points and central cross-hair sensor
- Centre-weighted, Spot and 40-segment honeycomb pattern metering mode
- Depth of Field preview
- Mode Dial for one-touch selection of exposure shooting modes: AUTO; Programme; Aperture Priority; Shutter Priority; Manual; plus 6 Scene Modes (Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Night View, Sunset, Sports / Action)
- White Balance adjustment: AWB and 6 preset WB modes with manual colour correction, Colour temperature manual selection with additional 19-step magenta/green compensation, Custom setting
- High Speed Continuous Advance Shooting up to 3 fps
- Burst shooting: JPEG unlimited, 6 frames RAW, 3 frames RAW+JPEG (dependent on memory card speed)
- Advanced flash modes as high synchronization speed, rear flash, wireless functions and slow synch direct button access on camera
- Ambiance and flash separate exposure compensation scales
- 1600 mAh Lithium ion battery with STAMINA technology for up to 750 shots from single charge (CIPA measurement, 50% usage of built-in flash)
- Built-in Flash plus support for multiple flash modes (Wireless, Slow Synchro, Rear Synchro)
- Dimensions: 94.7 x 133.1 x 71.3 mm (L x W x D)
- Weight: 545g (without battery)
- CF media slot compatible with Type I/II (MicroDrive) media; supplied MemoryStick DUO adapter
- Supplied image editing software: (1) Image Data Converter SR Ver.1.1 (2) Picture Motion Browser
NB: Dynamic Range Optimiser Advanced Mode uses technology provided by Apical Ltd.
# # #