This fair presents a wonderful opportunity for animal shelters and rescues to market their animals and programs to a much wider audience than usual. We’re looking forward to doing a bunch of pet adoptions and having a lot of fun!
(PRWEB) June 19, 2006
Many of the San Francisco Bay Area's animal shelters will promote pet adoption at an upcoming event guaranteed to bring two-legged and four-legged friends from around the state. The Bay Area is one of the most pet-friendly places in the United States, and everyone’s marking their calendars to gather in celebration of dogs, cats, rabbits, rodents, and other companion animals at The First Annual Bay Area Pet Fair & Adoptathon, being held Saturday and Sunday, September 9 & 10, 2006 at the Marin Center Exhibition Hall and Fairgrounds in San Rafael. And guests can bring Fido, too!
Several thousand attendees will gather each day on the beautiful grounds of the Marin Center to celebrate their love of pets, sample and view pet-related products, and meet pet service providers, animal experts, and representatives of many of our region’s private and public non-profit animal shelters and rescue groups.
The centerpiece of the Fair is the multi-agency Adoptathon. Animal shelters and rescue groups will encourage pet adoption by bringing adoptable pets for Fair attendees to pet, meet and adopt. “This fair presents a wonderful opportunity for animal shelters and rescues to market their animals and programs to a much wider audience than usual. We’re looking forward to doing a bunch of pet adoptions and having a lot of fun!” said Sheri Cardo, Director of Public Relations, Marin Humane Society.
Kids and adults alike will learn the importance of pet adoption, animal stewardship and responsible pet ownership. A partial list of participating agencies includes San Francisco SPCA, Marin Humane Society, Humane Society & SPCA of Sonoma County, Napa Humane, and Hopalong Rescue.
Event features include:
- Special guest and nationally recognized pet expert Warren Eckstein (the “Dr. Phil of Pets”) will broadcast his syndicated radio show, The Pet Show (http://www.thepetshow.com), live from the Pet Fair, sponsored by KQKE 960 AM Talk Radio;
- Educators presenting fun, informative, and experiential activities in the Kids Pavilion;
- Whine Country, hosting dog-friendly wineries offering tastes while visitors learn about pet-friendly travel destinations;
- A Performance Ring hosting a variety of demonstrations such as Schutzhund, Agility, and other exciting performances;
- A Pet Food Drive -- attendees wishing to bring their pet to the fair donate $1 or a can of food, with proceeds distributed to pets in need;
- Everything from the healthiest foods and treats, dog clothes, and pet accessories to services such as doggy day cares and pet psychics will be presented by the Fair’s exhibitors.
The First Annual Bay Area Pet Fair & Adoptathon’s convenient San Rafael location will attract residents of San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Napa, Sonoma, Solano and Marin counties and beyond. Admission prices are: $7 for adults; $5 for kids 6-12, and kids under 6, free. Four-packs of tickets perfect for families are $20. Well-behaved dogs on leash are an additional $1 or a can of food. Parking is free.
The organizing sponsor of the Pet Fair is MARA Publishing, LLC. MARA Publishing is the publisher of FETCH, the Paper for San Francisco and North Bay Pets and Their People. FETCH is online at http://www.fetchthepaper.com, and its free, monthly print edition serves San Francisco, Marin, Napa and Sonoma counties.
About The First Annual Bay Area Pet Fair & Adoptathon
Bringing pet-positive businesses, animal shelters and non-profit groups together with pet-loving people of all ages in the greater Bay Area, the First Annual Bay Area Pet Fair will provide two days of celebration, awareness, resources, and community building, while also focusing attention on pet adoption and rescue of homeless pets in our community. Inclusive of all companion animals, it’s the only event of its kind in the Bay Area that welcomes the mutt and the purebred alike to attend. Complete information about the Pet Fair is online at http://www.bayareapetfair.com.
Contact: Sandy Lurins
Phone: (415) 229-3174; (707) 540-9041
Mobile Phone: 707-477-3326
# # #