Oberwald, Switzerland (PRWEB) August 3, 2006
The Ark Linux team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Ark Linux 2006.1 and Ark Linux Live 2006.1. Both releases can be downloaded at http://www.arklinux.org/.
There have been numerous changes since the last release. Highlights include KDE 3.5.4, the current version of X.Org and amaroK 1.4.1, and a new tool, "rpmhandler", that makes installing 3rd party packages easier than ever -- and we've fixed numerous bugs, especially in the Live version.
We're also pleased to announce that some companies, such as YOLD (http://yold.org/), are starting to offer commercial support for Ark Linux (our own community support is of course unaffected by this).
About Ark Linux Home
Ark Linux Home is a GNU/Linux distribution designed especially for desktop use, easy to use even for people without prior Linux (or computing) experience while still powerful enough for power users.
The main goals of Ark Linux Home are:
- Being easy to learn and use
- Including all tools and applications the typical desktop user will need
- Including _only_ tools and applications the typical desktop user will need - avoid becoming "bloated"
- Making installation of additional software as easy and fast as possible
- Being a technically sane development environment
Ark Linux Home is fully Free Software and Open Source - meaning, basically, you can freely download, use and redistribute it in both modified and unmodified form.
About Ark Linux Live
Ark Linux Live is a "Live CD" version of Ark Linux Home, meaning it can be booted directly from the CD, without needing installation.
The primary uses of a Live CD are:
- Recovering a normal system after a big hardware or software failure (Ark Linux will launch a special live CD for this purpose later, with more recovery tools and fewer other tools)
- Checking the system out without any risk
- Showing others what Linux is like, on their own hardware
- Taking your favorite operating system with you - e.g. to get on the net with Linux even if you're on vacation and the only internet cafe in town is a Microsoft shop
While it is possible to use Ark Linux Live as your primary operating system, that is not recommended -- a live CD is always slower than an installed system because CD/DVD drives are slower than harddisks, and the compression needed to fit 2.5 GB of data on a CD takes up processor time. Use Ark Linux Home instead.
Supporting Ark Linux
Ark Linux is a Free Software project that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. Ark Linux is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it's help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, helping with support, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, hardware, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Languages: English, German, Swiss-German, written French
20 Ayer Rajah Crescent
#08-02 Technopreneur Centre
Languages: English, Indonesian, some Chinese