Boca Raton, FL (PRWEB) August 15, 2006
Did you know that between 60 and 100 million Americans suffer from hair loss? This August marks the 6th Annual National Hair Loss Awareness Month of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), and millions of Americans may be interested to know that new advanced treatments - in addition to FDA-approved medications like Rogaine and Propecia - are available that can help them to both protect and regrow hair.
Alan J. Bauman, M.D., an internationally renowned hair restoration surgeon practicing in Boca Raton, FL, is encouraging all concerned patients to check with their doctors about five new treatments and procedures that may help them regain natural-looking hair:
Five New Hair Loss Treatments (Source: Alan J. Bauman, M.D.):
1) Laser Combs: Low level laser therapy is believed to stimulate hair follicles at the cellular level, thus helping to regrow hair. Hand-held laser devices, or "laser combs," are one way men - and women - can treat themselves in the privacy of their own homes.
2) Microscopic Detection: By the time hair loss is visible to the naked eye, it's too late for fast and easy treatments. But now PC-based video microscopes, like the new Folliscope from South Korea, enable doctors to spot areas of thinning follicles before they become difficult to treat.
3) Follicular-Unit Extractions: A highly advanced microsurgery, follicular-unit extraction (FOX/FUE) is a new type of hair transplant that is helping thousands of men and women achieve natural looking hairlines.
4) Trichophytic Donor Closure: In order to restore hair to one part of the head, you have to take it from somewhere else. In the "old days" of hair restoration that usually meant patients were left with a sizable scar. But today a new technique called trichophytic donor closure prevents noticeable scarring, and enables easy hair regrowth.
5) Nutritional Supplements: A few supplements have shown some evidence they can improve the quality of hair growth, including a European product called Viviscal, which is comprised of marine extracts and a silica compound.
National Hair Loss Awareness Month was begun in 2000 by the AAD to help raise public awareness about the signs and symptoms of hereditary hair loss and the effective treatments and procedures available. For more information about hair loss, visit Dr. Bauman's Web site at http://www.baumanmedical.com , the AAD (http://www.aad.org) or the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (http://www.ishrs.org).
ABOUT DR. BAUMAN:
Alan J. Bauman, M.D., founder of Bauman Medical Group in Boca Raton, Florida, is a top U.S. medical expert on hair loss and restoration for men and women, including eyelash, eyebrow and scalp transplants, and laser therapy. Dr. Bauman is a frequent beta-tester of new technologies and is a featured lecturer at major medical conferences and surgery workshops. Websites: http://www.baumanmedical.com - http://www.baumanblog.com - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alanbauman
# # #