Washington, DC (PRWEB) September 12, 2006
The National Congress of Vietnamese Americans (NCVA) invites you to attend our 20th Anniversary Convention “Securing Our Future Today” on September 13-17, 2006 in Arlington, Virginia at the Hilton Arlington Hotel. This gathering will bring together members of the community, nonprofit and business sectors to collaborate on opportunities resulting in measurable impact.
This convention is free. Registration fee is only requested of those who wish to have access to meals ($75 students / $150 members / $200 nonmembers).
- MEDIA TRAINING: Provide individuals and community organizations with insight on how to develop media relations, how to package their community events for media coverage and distribution, and how to provide their own coverage.
- CAPITOL HILL DAY: Participate in a Congressional Briefing and Reception. Topics include hurricane relief efforts, affordable housing and human rights. NCVA will also release its report “Vietnamese Americans in Hurricane-Impacted Gulf Areas: An Assessment of Housing Needs.”
- FREE WORKSHOPS: Workshops include tracks for leadership development, economic opportunities, capacity building and personal enrichment (some workshops will be conducted in Vietnamese to ensure Limited English Proficient members of the community have access to resources).
Invited special guest speakers throughout the Convention include: the Honorable Sam Mok, Chief Financial Officer, U.S. Department of Labor; the Honorable Chiling Tong, Deputy Director, Minority Business Development Agency, U.S. Department of Commerce; the Honorable Joel Szabat, Chief of Staff, Small Business Administration; the Honorable Aneesh Chopra, Secretary of Technology, Commonwealth of Virginia, the Honorable Vivek Kundra, Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Trade, Commonwealth of Virginia; the Honorable Adam Ebbin, David Englin and Robert Hull, House of Delegates, Commonwealth of Virginia; the Honorable Mark Herring, Senate, Commonwealth of Virginia; the Honorable Gerald Connolly, Chairman, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
Hilton Arlington, 950 North Stafford Street, Arlington, Virginia
GALA DINNER – Friday, September 15, 2006
6:30 pm VIP Reception / 7:30 pm Dinner Program
The Awards Dinner will be hosted by Sherri Ly, Reporter WTTG/FOX News. The keynote speaker will be Ambassador Sichan Siv, U.S. Representative to the U.N. Social and Economic Council. NCVA will honor Freddie Mac -- Corporate Citizen Award for their work in the area of affordable housing and response to the plight of Vietnamese and Asian Pacific Americans in the aftermath of Hurricane disasters. The Vietnamese Youth Education Association -- Community Service Award will be honored for their on-going activities in the Northern Virginia region to engage youth students in language classes and in a youth orchestra. Ms. Khuc Minh Tho -- Lifetime Achievement Award for her years of service and advocacy on behalf of refugees and political prisoners from Southeast Asia. Tickets for the dinner are $75 (general) and $125 (VIP) each. Contact 202-496-1401 for details.
The convention theme of “Securing Our Future Today” is actualized through the following:
- NCVA continues its tradition of leadership through its signature Vietnamese American Youth Leadership Conference (VAYLC) by hosting training sessions to develop the leadership skills of young students and working professionals.
- Empowered neighbors become active citizens in a civil society.
Creating Business Opportunities
- NCVA efforts to strengthen the community are concretely expressed in our activities to encourage greater diversity in the workforce and greater representation among the pool of minority suppliers.
- The success of Asian Pacific American businesses increases the economic self-sufficiency of the community.
Building a Sustainable Community
- NCVA believes that a community becomes sustainable when its citizens take an active role in policy, philanthropy, volunteerism and genuine giving from the heart to make a difference.
- A sustainable community exists when empowered citizens take an active role in their communities while being supported by the resources generated by members of the community.
Sponsored by: Freddie Mac, State Farm, Anheuser Busch, DaimlerChrysler Corporation Fund, Democratic National Committee, Sodexho, SunTrust, Dominion, Asian American Press, Hilton Arlington
Supported by: Business Development Assistance Group, Center for Business Planning and Development, Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, Defense Intelligence Agency, President’s Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services -- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, The White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, Moonlight Group, National CAPACD, Retina Studios, Social Security Administration, Spectrum Knowledge, Synergy Alliances, Youth Service America, Asian Fortune, BN Magazine, Vietnamese American Television
Conference details and registration can be found online at http://www.ncvaonline.org/conferences/2006.
Mr. Hung Nguyen or Ms. Louise Hoang, (202) 496-1401
# # #