AMELIA ISLAND, FL (PRWEB) September 29, 2006 -–
Every fall, thousands of book-lovers find their way to a unique “book island” in northeast Florida, where readers meet and mingle with favorite authors for four special days.
Amelia Island, a lush green paradise lapped by the waves of the Atlantic Ocean, hosts the Amelia Book Island Festival, taking place October 5-8.
The Festival offers a variety of free events, held in venues from historic sites to coffeehouses and pubs. For the first time, admission is free to the Saturday, Oct. 7, “Readers Day,” when all the Featured Authors give talks, meet readers and sign books from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church.
The Children’s Chapter offers activities, stories and fun, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at a street festival, 22 S. 9th Street. Kids can meet authors, make a book or Library Critter, have photos taken and win prizes.
Other free events include:
Thursday, Oct. 5
- 2 p.m. Poetry Readings with Cal Atwood. Kofé Hous.
- 4 p.m. Children's author Darrell House performs original songs and gives a program about his book, Miller the Green Caterpillar. Fernandina Beach Library.
Friday, Oct. 6
- Poetry Readings. Noon, Cathy Smith Bowers, Café Karibo; 2 p.m., Maurice Manning and Peter Meinke, Kosmic Kafe
- 4 - 6 p.m. Books-by-the-Beach Party. Come for a fun, outdoor party, enjoy the ocean breezes and meet area authors. Slider’s Seaside Grill.
- 8:30 p.m. Rock’n’Roll Readings. Writers and poets read witty, edgy and humorous excerpts in a casual entertainment evening. The Crab Trap.
For the full author list and more about Festival events, go to http://www.bookisland.org.
Only a few events require tickets, which are still available for the Friday Writing Workshops Day, and for the Saturday Luncheon with Authors. Seating is limited: advance purchase is recommended. Tickets will be available at the door for Friday Workshops.
For phone orders, call 904-206-2517. A ticket order form is also on the website. For more festival details: 904-491-8176 or visit http://www.bookisland.org.