AUSTIN, Texas (PRWEB) October 4, 2006 -–
REAL Software, provider of REALbasic, cross-platform that really works, announced that REALbasic 2006 Release 4 is shipping today. REALbasic now enables more than 100,000 REALbasic users to build Universal Binaries for Mac OS X. A Universal Binary is a Macintosh executable that runs natively on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.
“There is no faster way to convert an existing Mac application to a Universal Binary -- just click a checkbox,” stated Geoff Perlman, president and CEO of REAL Software. “With more than 100,000 REALbasic developers worldwide, the Mac community can expect a wave of new Universal Binary applications in the coming months.”
In addition, REALbasic itself is now a Universal Binary, which yields much higher performance on Intel-based Macs. In most cases, REALbasic 2006 Release 4 compiles more than twice as fast than the previous release when running on Intel.
REALbasic 2006 Release 4 also includes:
· Cross-platform toolbars: Allows developers to design one toolbar and use it on all three platforms.
· Large file support: Removes the 2 GB limit on files and binary streams, enabling REALbasic applications to work with files of any size.
· Check for errors: Finds errors in your code without building an application.
· Currency datatype: Intended for financial data, this new datatype improves parity with Visual Basic.
· Extended 64-bit integer support: Bitwise, Database operators and Memory Blocks now support 64-bit integers.
· Improved reliability: This release includes over 100 fixes and improvements to existing features.
This release also includes two new features exclusive to REALbasic Professional Edition:
· Database Encryption: REAL SQL databases now support AES 256 encryption.
· New SSL Socket: The SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) Socket has been rewritten and now supports switching to and from secure mode on
demand. It also supports secure listening, which is required for SSL-enabled servers.
More information regarding REALbasic and Universal Binaries can be found at http://www.realsoftware.com/products/realbasic/universal_faq/.
Pricing and Availability
REALbasic 2006 Release 4 is available now. Any customer with a current update plan can download this release directly from http://www.realsoftware.com/download at no additional cost. Upgrades to REALbasic 2006 Release 4 start at $50 and may be purchased on REAL Software’s website at http://www.realsoftware.com/store.
REALbasic is a full-featured software development environment suited to creating all kinds of applications, from utilities to enterprise-class applications. REALbasic for Mac OS X or Windows starts at $99. REALbasic for Linux Standard Edition is offered for free. REALbasic Professional Edition, required for cross-platform deployment, is $500. REALbasic is available now and can be downloaded directly from REAL Software at http://www.realsoftware.com/download.
About REAL Software
REAL Software provides REALbasic, Cross-Platform That Really Works, for people who want to create and deliver cross-platform software for Macintosh, Windows and Linux. REALbasic is highly compatible with Visual Basic and includes a utility to help migrate Visual Basic applications cross-platform to Macintosh and Linux. REAL Software was founded in 1996 and is based in Austin, Texas. For more information visit http://www.realsoftware.com or call 512.328.7325.
©2006 REAL Software, Incorporated. REAL Software, REALbasic and the REAL Software cube logo are registered trademarks of REAL Software, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders in the United States and other countries.