(PRWEB) October 11, 2006
One of the world’s best poker players, Gus Hansen, will challenge for the Betfair Asian Poker Tour’s inaugural event in Singapore.
Hansen will represent Full Tilt Poker’s stable of famous professional players at the $5,000 buy-in event which takes place November 12-17.
Betfair expects a prize pool in excess of $1m for the event, where Hansen will come up against Betfair Poker pros Ben ‘milkybarkid’ Grundy, Thomas ‘buzzer’ Bhil and Swedish sensation Bengt Sonnert.
He can also expect to take on some of Asia’s finest players, including Europe’s number one player in 2005, Singapore-born Willie Tann.
"I look forward to taking on some of Asia's best players, who I know to be challenging opponents because they are so aggressive, rather like me,” Hansen said. “The Betfair Asian Poker Tour is Asia’s first major poker tournament so I am very excited to be going.”
The Betfair Asian Poker Tour is the result of a unique legal gazette from the Singapore government which Betfair attained in partnership with respected local company Capital Events. Poker has traditionally been illegal in Singapore.
“This project is breaking new ground. That is something we strive to do across the Betfair brand,” said Head of Poker Ben Fried.
Hansen added, “This event is proof that poker is becoming truly international and is here to stay."
Notes to editors:
1. The Betfair Asian Poker Tour is open to all players aged 21 and over.
2. Direct buy-in is available via betfairasianpokertour.com.
3. The Betfair Asian Poker Tour takes place November 12-17 in the Mandarin Ballroom of the Meritus Mandarin Hotel on Orchard road in Singapore.
4. Side events and satellites to the main event take place from November 12.
5. The $5000 buy-in Main Event takes place November 15-17.
6. The event will be televised to an international audience.
For further information, please contact:
020 8834 8318