Sunnyvale, CA (PRWEB) October 11, 2006
AnchorFree, the world's largest network and community of free wireless Internet hotspots, has released a survey of the top 10 cities in Wisconsin ranked according to the number of free wi-fi hotspots. A free wi-fi hotspot is a public location that provides locals and visitors wireless internet at no cost.
The wireless hotspot data was gathered from AnchorFree's global database, which includes over 10,000 free wireless hotspots and is a collaborative effort by free wi-fi users. The company ranked cities by the number of free Wi-Fi hotspots within city limits, taking population density into account. AnchorFree is publicizing this information to raise awareness about the rapidly expanding free wi-fi movement in Wisconsin.
"Clearly, Wisconsinites expect to find free wi-fi locations wherever they go," said Ryan MacCarthy, AnchorFree's Director of Web Products & Community. "It’s great to see so many businesses in the state providing free wireless internet access.”
The Top 10 Wireless Cities in the Wisconsin:
(For detailed information please visit: http://anchorfree.com/stats/top-10-wireless-cities-in-wisconsin/)
1. Milwaukee, WI (40 hotspots with a population of 578,887)
2. Madison, WI (36 hotspots with a population of 208,054)
3. Appleton, WI (14 hotspots with a population of 70,087)
4. Green Bay, WI (12 hotspots with a population of 102,313)
5. Superior, WI (7 hotspots with a population of 27,368)
6. Racine, WI (5 hotspots with a population of 81,855)
7. Neenah, WI (4 hotspots with a population of 24,507)
8. Fond du Lac, WI (4 hotspots with a population of 42,203)
9. Janesville, WI (4 hotspots with a population of 61,604)
10. Eau Claire, WI (4 hotspots with a population of 61,704)
AnchorFree is dedicated to developing solutions for consumers and businesses that are "better than free." Through its acquisition of MetroFreeFi.com, AnchorFree offers the world's largest network and community with more than 10,000 free wi-fi hotspots. AnchorFree also offers HotSpot Shield, a free solution to protect PC and Apple users from hackers at wireless hotspots. Recently, AnchorFree launched its free wiPod solution, allowing users to download lists of hotspot locations to their Apple iPods. Based in Sunnyvale, California, AnchorFree is a privately held company. For more information, visit http://www.anchorfree.com.