London, UK (PRWEB) November 3, 2006
To mark its 40 anniversary UK technology magazine Computer Weekly has asked its readers to vote for who they consider to be the greatest people of the past 40 years of IT - and Steve Jobs inventor of the iPod and co-founder and chief executive of Apple Computer has come out on top.
Steve Jobs topped the Computer Weekly 40th anniversary poll due to the devoted following he has generated through his pioneering work in personal computing and product design.
1. Steve Jobs, the co-founder and chief executive of Apple Computer.
2. Tim Berners-Lee, who, invented the worldwide web in 1990.
3. Bill Gates, joint founder of the world's biggest software company, Microsoft, whose approach to technology and business has been instrumental in making technology available to the masses.
4. James Gosling, father of the Java programming language.
5. Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux operating system.
6. Richard Stallman, founder of the GNU Project, an initiative to develop a complete Unix-like operating system which is free software.
7. Arthur C Clark, visionary and writer of 2001: A Space Odyssey, who suggested in 1945 that geostationary satellites would make ideal telecoms relays.
8. Ted Codd, creator of 12 rules on which every relational database is built - an essential ingredient for building business computer systems.
9. Steve Shirley, an early champion of women in IT, and founder of Xansa.
10. Martha Lane Fox, the co-creator of Lastminute.com in 1998 who raised the profile of e-commerce ever higher in the public consciousness.
The Computer Weekly 40th anniversary poll also revealed the top ten IT companies of the last 40 years, a list that was topped by Steve Jobs' Apple; and the top 10 software and top 10 hardware innovations.
Press enquiries: please call Tim Haigh on ++44 (0)208 652 3296.
Computer Weekly is published by Reed Business Information (RBI), a division of Reed Business and a member of Reed Elsevier, the world's leading publisher and information provider. Reed Business Information publishes over 100 market leading publications, directories, electronic products, online services, industry conferences and awards.