Dayton, OH (PRWEB) December 11, 2006
The holiday season can be stressful and chaotic for many people. Whether it is fighting through the sea of people in crowded stores, making appearances at the seemingly never-ending list of gatherings, or the financial strain on the wallet, many people feel overwhelmed and stressed out during the holidays.
This year ipopin.com wants to help people stay cool and calm during the hectic holiday hustle and bustle. According to Dr. Harrell, psychologist and co-owner of ipopin.com, "We all face lots of stressors everyday - especially during the holiday season - however, it is how we react to these stressors that is important. We are in complete control of our attitude; therefore, we can choose how we will respond to the holiday experience."
Dr. Harrell, has issued 11 tips to help reduce stress and create a healthy, happy holiday season.
1. Stay Positive! You are in control of your attitude - choose to be positive. Use affirmations and the power of positive thinking to stay positive.
2. Use deep breathing! Practice deep breathing exercises to help you stay relaxed when you are feeling stressed (i.e.: waiting in line at stores or in parking lot traffic).
3. Exercise! Park far away from the store so that you get a little extra exercise; try tai chi or yoga to help keep your body, mind and spirit fit
4. Practice mindfulness! Stay in the present moment by practicing mindfulness -as you walk keep your attention on what it feels like to be walking (not on your list of things to do); or try mindful eating by eating slowly and paying attention to the experience of eating.
5. Keep a gratitude journal! Each day record at least 3 things in your life for which you are grateful.
6. Play! Watch funny movies, play games, have fun. Take time to play and engage in pleasurable activities.
7. Enjoy nature! Take time each day to appreciate nature - a beautiful sunset, a freshly fallen snow, etc.
8. Be generous and kind! Focus on helping those in need - good deeds can help us feel good about ourselves (i.e. - donate to charities, let someone get in front of you in line, etc.)
9. Share your positive attitude! A smile can be contagious. Compliment and encourage others.
10. Create a peaceful space! Create a peaceful space or sanctuary in your home where you can retreat and restore you inner peace. Spend at least a few minutes here each day.
11. Connect with others! Be sure to spend quality time with friends and family. Nurture your relationships. Ask for support when you need it.
These tips are derived from ipopin's Happiness Manifesto, which is available online at http://www.ipopin.com/happiness_manifesto.pdf. In addition to these tips, ipopin.com is offering a 20% discount on the Relax CD through the end of the year.
About ipopin.com (http://www.ipopin.com)
ipopin.com is a website owned by Popular Inspirations, Ltd, an Ohio limited liability company founded by Kirsten Harrell, Psy.D. and Traci Harrell. Business partners and sisters, Dr. Harrell and Ms. Harrell, created ipopins (the one minute affirmations) as a way to help people maximize their own potential by using the power of positive thinking.
Kirsten Harrell, Psy.D.
Popular Inspirations, Ltd