It will strike a real chord with those millions of people who can't believe what's been going on in the last few years.
(PRWEB) December 9, 2006
A savage, fictional satire on George Bush which portrays the 'leader of the free world' as a thumb-sucking, gun-toting, bible-bashing murderer with a stripper hiding in the wardrobe, is making an unlikely bid to be Christmas No.1.
Mr President was written by Daniel Abineri, a London-based performer previously known for his controversial anti-Catholic stage show 'Bad Boy Johnny and the Prophets of Doom,' featuring a young Russell Crowe, was picketed by Opus Dei nuns.
Three weeks ago, Daniel uploaded the song, which he had recorded in the corner of his living room on amateur equipment, to the new music website Amazing Tunes. "I can't believe what's happened since," said Daniel. "The next day, the founder of Amazing Tunes contacted me to say he thought the song had real potential as a global hit. We re-mixed it and shot an incredible video - and now it's spreading like wildfire via the internet."
"When I heard this song, I fell off my chair!" said Amazing Tunes founder Paul Campbell. "It will strike a real chord with those millions of people who can't believe what's been going on in the last few years."
The video, directed by up and coming promo Director BENG!, is a hilarious vision of an out of control child who happens to be President of the United States. Initially fearful of the righteous indignation of singer Abineri, Bush hurls weapons from his WMD toy box, enlists the support of 'Halle Burton,' a dollar-throwing, oil-kissing stripper, then shoots Abineri in the back. As he falls dying, Daniel sings 'say it's over' to the exultant Bush.
"Whatever your reaction to this song, this is a voice that needs hearing," said Campbell, "and Amazing Tunes is all about putting the artist first. We give 70% of all revenue to the musicians, turning the lazy and greedy music industry on its head. This song raises important issues in a hard-hitting way which just aren't being addressed elsewhere. It's also a bloody good tune!"
Visit http://www.amazingtunes.com/mrpresident to view the video and download the track.
For further information about Mr President or to request photography, arrange an interview with Abineri or request promotional CDs, please contact:
Lishai Oz or Cecilia Coonan at IncrediBull Ideas T: 020 7940 3800
Editor's Notes on Daniel Abineri:
- Daniel started writing in the early 80s. Two of his musicals have been commercially produced in Australia and London
- Was an actor for 23 years, including Tatum O'Neal in International Velvet, Bless Me Father, The Rocky Horror, Return To Eden, Torch Song Trilogy and Ben Elton's Popcorn
- In 1986 he wrote the book, music and lyrics for his first musical Bad Boy Johnny and The Prophets Of Doom featuring a young Russell Crowe in the title role
- In '93 Daniel remounted 'Bad Boy Johnny' at The Union Chapel in Islington and made front page news when a collection of irate nuns, the London arm of Opus Dei, The Daily Telegraph and the Church Council of Great Britain complained that it was 'offensive and blasphemous'. After a spate of death threats the production was closed after just ten performances
- In 1997 he began producing documentaries
Editor's Notes on Amazing Tunes:
- Amazing Tunes allows musicians to publish their material freely online
- 70% of all revenues are given to musicians
- All artists are currently unsigned by record labels
- Many artists have moved to Amazing Tunes from MySpace, citing over-commercialisation, the influence of Rupert Murdoch, and creative restrictions
- Fans: visit http://www.amazingtunes.com to view tracks and vote for your favourite/s
- Musicians: visit the website to upload your songs free of charge