Memphis, TN (PRWEB) December 13, 2006
In a recent survey of over 8000 software licensees and commercial online backup service providers, Remote Backup Systems, Inc., asked what excuses prospects gave for not implementing a remote backup solution for their data. The results were surprising. Here are the top ten myths about using remote backup software or services to protect computer data, and the reality of these misconceptions explained:
10. We don't know how to do proper backups - Remote backup service providers are skilled in helping you determine where your critical data resides and how to back it up. Once configured, the software launches itself automatically according to a user-definable schedule.
9. Backups are boring and nobody here wants to do them - Sitting at home unemployed because your company went out of business is boring, too. Statistically, businesses that permanently lose their critical data and files are out of business within 30 days. Remote backup is usually a hands-off process, requiring no interaction on the part of your staff.
8. We save all of our company data to a central server - Central-server-repositories are common in today's networked office environments, but don't let them provide a false sense of security. Without a proper offsite backup regimen, central server configurations can actually worsen the effects of a crashed hard drive, viral infection, or other data loss event.
7. Remote backups are expensive and are only for large companies - Remote backup is among the least expensive and most robust data protection options available to companies of any size. Monthly costs for a full featured service typically begin around $30-$50 per month.
6. Remote backups take too much time - Modern remote backup software can be configured to back up only the granular changes within files. This technology helps ensure that daily backup sessions complete very quickly.
5. Nothing will happen to my data - many businesses labor under the false perception that their computer files are safe, until something happens to prove that they are not. The question is not if you will lose data, it is when data will be lost - and if you'll have a backup.
4. Remote Backups will affect our network's performance - Remote backup software usually requires minimal network resources. The backup sessions are typically scheduled to run at night, after hours, when system resources and bandwidth are not at a premium.
3. We already do onsite backups - Unlike local backups which are often destroyed in the same incident as the primary data set, remote backups securely and automatically send a copy of your data to an offsite hard drive each night.
2. We are concerned about the security of our data - Remote backup software typically includes encryption and compression technologies which keep your data fully protected in transit and while in storage. You are the only one who can access your files.
And the number one reason for not using remote backup to protect business data is:
1. We are too busy to do backups - Busy people sometimes overlook critical tasks, and data backup is usually the first to be forgotten. Remote backups are fully automated, secure, and offer 24/7 protected access to your backed up data. The number one excuse for NOT doing proper backups is also the number one reason to do them.
Remote backup software and/or services can provide peace of mind and a critical path to recovery for your organization when disaster strikes. For more information about online backup software, or to find a remote backup provider near you, please visit http://remote-backup.com
About Remote Backup Systems, Inc.
Remote Backup Systems, Inc. is the global leader in the distribution of Client and Server software to rapidly deploy a high reliability, high security Internet-based online backup service, and a robust range of support services including national customer referrals. In 1987, RBS designed the world's first online backup software for microcomputers. With over 8000 remote backup servers active in 68 countries, RBS founded the online data backup industry and leads the market with experience, innovation, and support.
Contact: Tommy Gardner
Remote Backup Systems, Inc.
Online Backup Software