For those new to high-definition, 'World of HD Week' offers an HD bonanza and the perfect opportunity to experience its powerful clarity with Discovery's compelling, award-winning programming.
Silver Spring, MD (PRWEB) December 13, 2006
Discovery HD Theater announces "World of HD Week," a special programming event offering high-definition premieres of new series and specials from across Discovery Networks in advance of their standard definition air dates. A company first, "World of HD Week" kicks off New Year's Day with a DISCOVERY ATLAS HD marathon and continues with a primetime premiere every night at 8 PM ET/PT through Sunday, January 7.
" 'World of HD Week' is a natural extension of Discovery HD Theater's mission to showcase the highest-quality HDTV programming about history, science, travel, wildlife, current affairs and natural history in stunning high-definition," said Clint Stinchcomb, executive vice president and general manager, HDTV and new media, Discovery Communications. "For those new to high-definition, 'World of HD Week' offers an HD bonanza and the perfect opportunity to experience its powerful clarity with Discovery's compelling, award-winning programming."
Anchoring the 'World of HD Week' is a special sneak peek at PLANET EARTH, an unprecedented portrait of the natural wonders of our planet that takes viewers to the highest mountains, the deepest waters and the last true wilderness areas. Captivated by the world's most loved, wildest and elusive creatures in an unforgettable expedition, PLANET EARTH documents the daily struggle for survival in Earth's natural habitats. The first episode, Pole to Pole, which premieres Sunday, January 7 at 8 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater, follows the sun as it touches the lives of creatures across the planet, bringing a fresh understanding of how the world is interconnected. From African herds migrating hundreds of miles in search of water to desperate animal hunts, Pole to Pole examines how the seasons produce the greatest spectacles on Earth. PLANET EARTH is produced by the Discovery Channel and the BBC, the team that created the award-winning natural history series BLUE PLANET. Other featured TV programming includes the following:
- DISCOVERY ATLAS HD airs on Monday, January 1 beginning at 3 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater. Discovery's most ambitious global project to date, DISCOVERY ATLAS HD transports viewers to 30 countries over five years capturing the world like never before in stunning high-definition. Focusing on the rich cultures, geography and natural phenomena of some of the world's oldest and most diverse countries, the New Years Day marathon will begin with DISCOVERY ATLAS HD: China Revealed at 3 PM ET/PT, followed by DISCOVERY ATLAS HD: Brazil Revealed at 5 PM ET/PT, DISCOVERY ATLAS HD: Italy Revealed at 7 PM ET/PT and DISCOVERY ATLAS HD: Australia Revealed at 9 PM ET/PT.
- Episode 1 of TANK OVERHAUL premieres on Tuesday, January 2 at 8 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater. Bringing back to life four notable battle tanks from World War II, this new Military Channel series follows the restoration of these great machines while exploring their rich histories. The first episode introduces Dave Arnold and his crew from the Isle of Wight Military History Museum. They've rescued a rare 1945 Comet Tank from an Army firing range. It's been destroyed and they only have four months to get it ready for Tank Fest 2006.
- ACCIDENT INVESTIGATOR Season 2, Episode 1 premieres on Wednesday, January 3 at 8 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater. Discovery Health Channel's ACCIDENT INVESTIGATOR is back for a second season depicting how accident investigators use the art of inquiry and the laws of physics to unravel the mystery of tragic accidents from car crashes to train collisions. In the season opener, a bus driver ends up under the wheels of his own bus and a medical examiner explains the death of a young girl involved in a bizarre car crash among other incredible stories.
- TREK: SPY IN THE WATERHOLE premieres on Thursday, January 4 at 8 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater. Using a special brand of revolutionary photography that allows viewers to experience life from an animal's perspective, Animal Planet's TREK: SPY IN THE WATERHOLE follows one of nature's most awe-inspiring events; the great wildebeast migration. During this two-hour special, viewers will see this perilous, but necessary journey through the eyes of individual wildebeasts including a mother and her young vulnerable calf.
1,000 PLACES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE Episode 1 premieres on Friday, January 5 at 8 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater. 1,000 PLACES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE is a new 13-episode travel series from the Travel Channel based on Patricia Schultz's best-selling travel book of the same name. With the book serving as a guide and inspiration, the series chronicles the journey of one lucky couple who put their lives on hold to travel the world. Circumnavigating the globe, the couple visits a succession of exquisite locales in each hour-long episode, the first of which takes them to Peru.
- GAMER GENERATION premieres on Saturday, January 6 at 8 PM ET/PT on Discovery HD Theater. The first to tell the real story of the impact that computer games are having on our world, Discovery Times Channel's GAMER GENERATION takes a hard look at the pervasive and sometimes disturbing ways that computer games are changing human behavior, societies and cultures. The first episode explores some of the most surprising things you never knew about computer games including how computer gamers are more famous than rock stars in Korea and how in Syria they have become a powerful propaganda tool and an important way of inciting anti-Jewish sentiment in the Middle East.
BMW is the exclusive presenting sponsor of 'World of HD Week.' For more information on BMW, viewers can visit http://www.bmwusa.com.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is the leading global real-world media company with operations in 170 countries and territories reaching nearly 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers. DCI has over 100 networks of distinctive programming representing 29 trusted brands including Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet. Other properties include Discovery Education and COSMEO, a revolutionary online homework help service, as well as Discovery Commerce, which operates more than 100 Discovery Channel Stores in the U.S. Discovery brings the real world to the whole world through global multiplatform initiatives including Discovery Travel Media, Discovery Health Media, Discovery Animal Plant Media Enterprises, Discovery Mobile and broadband services. DCI's ownership consists of four shareholders: Discovery Holding Company (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB), Cox Communications, Inc., Advance/Newhouse Communications and John S. Hendricks, the Company's Founder and Chairman. To learn more visit http://www.discovery.com.