Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) December 17, 2006
Effective Sunday, Dec. 17, Los Angeles Metro will deploy several new rapid bus line initiatives to improve service:
•thigh-capacity 60-foot articulated buses on two lines
•tstart up two new local lines
•tthree limited-stop bus lines
•tstart up a new LA Metro Rapid Bus line along Reseda Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley
New LA Metro Rapid Line 741 (Reseda Rapid) will begin operating on Monday, Dec. 18 via Reseda Blvd. between Northridge and Tarzana. The new rapid line will operate Monday through Friday from approximately 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Service will run every 10 minutes in the morning and afternoon peak periods and every 20 minutes in non-peak periods.
LA Metro will begin using high capacity 60-foot articulated buses on Line 233 (Van Nuys) and Line 204 (Vermont Ave.) instead of regular 40-foot buses currently in operation. The new buses, fueled by compressed natural gas, offer more passenger room (57 seats) and improved interior passenger features and lighting with three doors that provide wider rear exits.
Metro also plans to implement three new limited stop bus lines and two new local lines as part of its service enhancements. The new limited stop lines include Metro Bus Line 364 (Nordhoff St. Limited) that will operate along Nordhoff and Osborne streets between Chatsworth and Sun Valley; Line 350 (Central Ave. Limited) operating between downtown Los Angeles and the Metro Green Line Avalon Station; and Line 355 (Compton Ave. Limited) providing limited stop service between downtown Los Angeles and the Metro Blue Line Firestone Station.
The two new LA Metro local bus lines include Line 224 (San Fernando Rd./North/Lankershim Blvd.) that replaces line 166 service along Lankershim Blvd. between Universal City and San Fernando Road. It will also replace Line 94 service along San Fernando Road between Sun Valley and Olive View Hospital. New local Metro Bus line 155 (Universal City/Burbank Shuttle) will provide service between Universal City Metro Red Line Station and the Burbank Metrolink Station.
Additionally, Metro will add trips to 11 bus lines to improve service. Those lines include: 40, 108, 111, 115, 206, 207, 210, 212, 445, 450X, and 710.
One Metro Bus line will be cancelled. Line 255 (Boyle Heights/East Los Angeles) will operate interim service on weekdays and Saturdays until the route of DASH Boyle Heights-East LA is extended. Sunday service on Line 255 will be cancelled effective Dec. 17. Route segments of two Metro Bus Lines will be cancelled. The route of Line 201 (Glendale/Koreatown) will be shortened. The one-mile route segment east of Glendale Adventist Hospital will be cancelled. The route segment of Line 484 (Pomona/Downtown Los Angeles) that serves the City of Industry Metrolink Station will be discontinued. Regular service on Line 484 will continue.
The following list highlights additional details of these and other service modifications being made effective Dec. 17:
SAN GABRIEL VALLEY SECTOR
- Line 85 (Downtown LA/Glendale College via Verdugo Rd.) will operate service only between Glendale College and Eagle Rock and San Fernando Rd. and renumbered to Line 685 (Glendale College/Glassell Park via Verdugo Rd.). Service to downtown Los Angeles will continue to be provided by Metro Line 84.
- Line 487 (El Monte/Sierra Madre/San Gabriel/Downtown Los Angeles) The line will be broken into two separate routes both ending at Sierra Madre Villa Station of the Metro Gold Line. The segment from Sierra Madre Villa Station to El Monte will be renumbered to Line 287 (El Monte Station/Sierra Madre Villa Station).
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY SECTOR
- Line 94-394 (L.A. San Fernando Local/Limited) and new Line 224 (North San Fernando Rd./Lankershim Bl.) - Operate as two separate lines: New Line 224 will replace the canceled northern segment of Line 94 and travel from Olive View Medical Center to Sun Valley via San Fernando Blvd. to Lankershim Blvd; then continue via Lankershim Bl. to Universal City Station. The lankershim Bl. Segment replaces service on former Line 166. The southern segment of Line 94 will continue to operate local service on San Fernando Road between Sun Valley and Downtown Los Angeles; Also, Route 394 will be retained as a branch route of Line 94 and operate limited service between Sylmar Station and downtown LA throughout the day on weekdays and weekends.
- Line 152 and new Branch Line 153 (Fallbrook Ave-Roscoe Blvd. Vineland Ave. Burbank)and new Line 155 (Universal City Station/Downtown Burbank Station via Alameda Ave.)- Retain existing route from Fallbrook Av and Ventura Blvd., to new eastern terminal at N. Hollywood Station. Also, establish branch route 153 to travel via S. Fernando Rd. through Sun Valley during peak periods only. This change will provide passengers with direct access to Metrolink commuter train service. Service formerly provided on Vineland between Magnolia and Ventura & Lankershim Blvds. will be served by Line 156. Service formerly provided between Universal City Station and Burbank Metrolink Station will be provided by new Line 155.
- Line 156 (Van Nuys- N. Hollywood-Hollywood) and new branch Line 656 (Panorama City/Downtown LA Owl) - Reroute a one-half mile segment of Line 156 to travel on Vineland between Magnolia Blvd. and the intersection of Lankershim Blvd & Vineland Ave. Operate Line 156 Owl Service as a separate line and renumber as Line 656. (No changes will be made to the owl bus route)
- Line 158 (Chatsworth-Sherman Oaks) - Relocate western terminal from Devonshire St. and Valley Circle to Chatsworth Metrolink Station.
- Line 166 (Nordhoff St./Osborne St.) and new branch Line 364 (Nordhoff St./Osborne St. Limited)- Shorten line to operate between Chatsworth Metrolink Station to Glenoaks Blvd. and Branford St. in Sun Valley and convert selected trips to provide proposed new Line 364 limited stop service along same alignment; Cancel Sun Valley to Universal City Station segment and replace Lankershim Bl., segment with line 224.
- Line 363 (Branch Route of Line 353) - Reroute service to Sherman way and Lankershim Bl between Van Nuys and North Hollywood Station. Segments along Van Nuys Bl, Victory Bl., Laurel Canyon Bl and Oxnard St., cancelled. (Alternate service is available).
SOUTH BAY SERVICE SECTOR
- Line 111 - (LAX to Norwalk) - For simplification of service new east terminal changed to Norwalk Green Line Station. (See Line 121 for service to the Whittwood Mall.)
- Line 120 - (El Segundo to Rosa Parks Station) For simplification of service Line 121 service separated from Line 120 with new east terminal changed to Rosa Parks Station.
- Line 121 - (Rosa Parks Station to Whittier) - For simplification of service Line 120 service separated from Line 121 with new west terminal changed to Rosa Parks Station. New east terminal extended to Whittwood Mall to cover deleted portion of Line 111.
- Line 206 - (Normandie Ave.) - New north terminal changed to Vermont Av. between Hollywood Bl. and Barnsdall Ave. facing southbound. Southbound Line 206 will make first stop at Vermont Av. and Barnsdall Ave., then serve two new stops on Sunset Blvd. at Edgemont St. and at Alexandria Ave.
- Line 210 - (Crenshaw Blvd.) - New north terminal to reduce service duplication on Hollywood Bl. North terminal changed to Hollywood/Vine Red Line Station. To travel southbound board Line 210 at first southbound stop on Argyle Ave. at Selma Ave.
- Line 212 - (La Brea Ave.) - New north terminal after 7:30 pm all nights to reduce service duplication on Hollywood Bl. North night time short line terminal is at Hollywood Bl. and Highland Av. To travel southbound board Line 212 at first southbound stop at Hollywood Bl. and Sycamore Ave.
- Line 450X - (Harbor Transitway Express) - Improvements include service every 15 minutes from 7-8AM northbound and 4-5PM southbound. Span ofservice expanded to operate one trip later in each direction both morning and evening.
- Line 754 - (Vermont Rapid) - New north terminal on Vermont Ave. between Maubert Av. and Hollywood Bl. facing northbound. Southbound passengers may board at the terminal or on Vermont Ave. just south of Sunset Blvd.
GATEWAY CITIES SECTOR
- New Limited Line 350 (Central Ave. Limited) operates Monday through Friday in the peak direction only.
- New Limited Line 355 (Compton Ave. Limited) operates Monday through Friday in the peak direction only.
For details on schedule changes go to: details on upcoming schedule changes
# # #