Cupertino, CA (PRWEB) December 20, 2006
SwapThing.com, the leader in online swapping, announced that it is better to give and to receive. SwapThing.com facilitates both through its "My thing for your thing" mantra and provides a channel for the millions of unwanted gifts given this holiday season.
With over three million items, SwapThing helps users swap with folks across town or across the country. This year, the company encourages consumers to go holiday swapping instead of shopping.
Swap that 'humbug' for a 'ho ho ho.' A few 'Swap tips' to get people started:
- Swap Services: SwapThing.com will help users easily narrow their search. It helps to print a simple certificate or voucher to make the service more tangible (and easier to use as a gift). Great swappable services include: massage, hair/nail services, bookkeeping, bartending/catering and pet grooming.
- Be Creative: Everyone has something to swap. Remember -- one man's trash is another man's treasure. Can't afford to host a swanky holiday bash? Find a bartender who is pining for that Mickey Mouse watch collecting dust in your sock drawer.
- Think Outside the Lines: State lines, that is. Last year's New York must-have designs might be the latest trend in other parts of the country. And Midwesterners have a wealth of untapped vintage items and sports memorabilia.
- Recycle Last Year's Unwanted Gifts: Exchange that 'what were they thinking?' item for something that you might actually use, and know that Gram's Barry Manilow soundbook is going to a good home.
- Used vs. Vintage: Don't sell yourself short. Think vintage this holiday season. A used CD might be a lame gift. But, an obscure vinyl of an old fave can be a unique and thoughtful gift.
- Presentation is Key: A clear photo and a colorful description will get an item noticed. Add the pertinent details, but keep it short and sweet.
- More is More: Many items, such as books and collectibles, are more valuable as a collection or series. Original packaging and overall condition will always add to an item's value.
- Don't Give Up: New items are added to the site every day; it's only a matter of time before people find their perfect swap.
- Share the Love: Whether it is kitty rescue or clothes for Katrina survivors, SwapThing.com is committed to making the world a better place. The site's modest fee is always waived for (tax deductible) charitable contributions.
For all of those recipients of lame gifts this holiday season, SwapThing is hosting the 2nd Annual Bad Gift Contest. The best holiday horror stories will be voted upon and the winners will receive free swap transactions and SwapThing T-shirts.
SwapThing enables the swapping of any combination of items and services between consumers and small businesses, as well as direct purchases. SwapThing offers free registration and listing for items, with a low transaction fee of $1.00 for each exchange of goods, no matter how many items are involved in the swap.
The SwapThing search engine matches items/services offered to items/services wanted. User trustworthiness and reputations are formed by means of a rating system, which is provided through a partnership with RapLeaf. SwapThing also enables the creation of community and social networking through user tagging, a blog and SwapCircles. http://www.swapthing.com
Future Works, Inc.
408.428.0895 ext. 104