ROCHESTER, Minn. (PRWEB) January 19, 2007
Health insurance premiums for 2006 rose 7.7 percent in the United States -- twice the rate of inflation. With employers still bearing most of the burden of health care costs, many employers are seeking cost-effective strategies, such as corporate wellness or employee health programs, to help employees become healthier. By helping employees reduce health risks, employers can better manage health care costs.
A new survey on the impact of Mayo Clinic Health Solutions' online population health management programs shows significant outcomes in helping users make healthy lifestyle changes that can reduce health risks. Survey results representing the experience of nearly 2,000 users of the online health management programs indicate that the programs helped users:
- Learn new, healthy lifestyle skills
- Make positive behavior changes
- Increase their confidence in their ability to continue healthy behaviors
- Proactively communicate with their health care provider about specific unhealthy lifestyle behaviors
Enrollees were surveyed in three health management programs -- Fitness for EveryBody, Healthy Weight and My Smoke-Free Future. Key findings include:
Fitness for EveryBody Program
- 73 percent increased their exercise level
- 78 percent learned a new behavior change skill that will help in the long-term maintenance of regular exercise
- 76 percent indicated they are confident in their ability to maintain regular exercise
Healthy Weight Program
- 53 percent indicated the program helped them meet their weight-loss goal
- 65 percent are making healthier food choices
- 76 percent learned a new behavior change skill that will help them maintain their weight loss
My Smoke-Free Future
- 31 percent quit smoking
- 38 percent reduced the number of cigarettes smoked
- 71 percent learned a new behavior change skill that will help them in the future
- 23 percent made an appointment to discuss smoking with their health care provider
The data also revealed that individuals who participated in more than one program (Fitness for EveryBody and Healthy Weight) were more likely to make healthier food choices than if they participated in just one program.
Online health management programs are an integrated component of the Mayo Clinic EmbodyHealth portal and are a key part of Mayo Clinic Health Solutions' vision for effecting behavior change, as well as for creating smarter, more empowered health consumers.
For more information, contact Mayo Clinic Health Solutions at 1-800-430-9699 (toll free).
About Mayo Clinic Health Solutions
Mayo Clinic Health Solutions extends Mayo Clinic's expertise to people throughout their lives. By drawing upon the experience of teams of Mayo Clinic experts, Mayo Clinic Health Solutions develops and provides solution-oriented products and services designed to improve people's health. Its broad array of offerings includes solutions for population health management (health risk assessment, behavior change programs and self-care tools), consumer health education (http://www.MayoClinic.com), books and newsletters, health benefits administration (third-party administration, health savings accounts and pharmacy benefit management), pharmacy services, and medical supplies. Additionally, Mayo Clinic Health Solutions transfers medical expertise, intellectual property, and innovation into medical devices and products that help people across the globe. For more information, visit http://www.MayoClinicHealthSolutions.com.