At MORE TH>N we’re always looking for ways we can do more to protect our customers. We know that a large number of motorists break down each year, so we wanted to make sure they can get help when they need it most.
(PRWEB) January 20, 2007
When it comes to breaking down, it appears we are a nation that crosses our fingers and hopes for the best.
According to new research released today by MORE TH>N insurance, 1.3 million motorists are not covered for breakdowns as they find it too expensive. Eight million British drivers would rely on their friends and family if they were to break down(2), and nearly one in ten (9 per cent) believe that their cars are reliable and won’t break down. This could be a costly gamble though, as MORE TH>N predicts that at least one in five British motorists can expect to breakdown this year at some point.
The research was released to mark the launch of MORE TH>N’s free breakdown cover to all new motor customers for the first year, available from 20 January 2007. The cover, called Roadside Assistance, typically costs around £30 and includes:
- Provision of assistance for up to 1 hour at the roadside to try to make the car roadworthy
- If the car cannot be repaired at the roadside, it will be recovered, along with the driver and passengers, and taken to the nearest repairer within 10 miles
- Provision of emergency assistance if the car runs out of fuel. MORE TH>N will take replacement fuel to the customer
- Emergency assistance in the event of a flat battery, flat tyre or if incorrect fuel is accidentally put in the car
- Emergency assistance if the customer accidentally locks their keys in the car.
This service resonates with British drivers, as the research reveals that one in ten (9 per cent) drivers on the roads are not prepared to pay anything for breakdown cover, with only 16 per cent prepared to pay up to £30.
Mike Holliday-Williams, managing director at MORE TH>N, commented: “At MORE TH>N we’re always looking for ways we can do more to protect our customers. We know that a large number of motorists break down each year, so we wanted to make sure they can get help when they need it most. ”
For those wanting more comprehensive cover, MORE TH>N has three additional levels of cover and is offering customers the chance to upgrade for half the normal price(4).
For further information, please visit http://www.morethan.com/rescue or call 0800 316 4460.
For further information:
MORE TH>N PR Manager
T: 020 7337 5405
M: 07711 701 806
MORE TH>N PR
T: 020 7337 5728
M: 07717 420 065
Notes to Editors:
(1) Research carried out by YouGov between 20 – 21 December 2006 to a sample of 2,009 adults. There are 44,200,000 adults in Great Britain. The research reveals that 76 per cent of these are drivers, which equates to 33,592,000. Of these, 4 per cent are not covered for breakdown as it is too expensive, which equates to 1.3 million drivers.
(2) There are 44,200,000 adults in Great Britain. The research reveals that 76 per cent of these are drivers, which equates to 33,592,000. Of these, 24 per cent would call on friends and family if they broke down, which equates to 8 million drivers.
(3) Source: MORE TH>N’s own claim statistics
(4) Additional levels of cover available are:
Roadside Assistance and Homecall
- This gives you protection both on the road and right outside your house and includes all the benefits of Roadside Assistance plus emergency assistance if you break down at home or within 1 mile of your home address
Roadside Assistance, Recovery and European Assistance
- As well as the benefits of Roadside Assistance, we’ll take your car home, to a garage or to your destination
- You can choose to continue your journey by hire car
- If your car needs to be garaged overnight, emergency overnight accommodation for you and your passengers will be provided
- All these benefits apply if you are driving abroad as well as in the UK
Roadside Assistance, Recovery, Homecall and European Assistance
- This is our optimum level of cover and offers you complete worry-free protection wherever you are driving. It includes all the benefits of the other cover levels both in the UK and abroad
MORE TH>N is the direct financial services arm of Royal & SunAlliance. It offers motor, home, pet, life and travel insurance by phone and via the internet. It also offers van, shop, office, business car, hotels, property, club and contractor insurance direct to small businesses.
In December 2006 MORE TH>N, together with its parent company Royal & SunAlliance, became the first insurer in the UK to be carbon neutral. The company has cut its carbon footprint by half since 2000 and has offset the remainder by purchasing voluntary carbon reductions through the CarbonNeutral Company.
For all of MORE TH>N’s press releases, visit http://www.royalsun.com/mediacentre/newsitems.jsp
Subscribe to MORE TH>N’s RSS news-feed to keep up to date with announcements by copying and pasting the following link into your news aggregator:
MORE TH>N is a registered trademark of the Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Group plc and a trading style of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No.93792). Registered in England & Wales at St.Mark’s Court, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1XL. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.