(PRWEB) March 14, 2007
Lxlabs today unveiled HostInABox, a revolutionary hosting platform that the company claims can completely redefine the VPS hosting industry. HostInABox, a hosting platform based on lighttpd, djbdns, pure-ftpd, and complemented by their web based control panel Lxadmin, uses an idling memory of 9MB, and promises to make VPS hosting affordable to all.
Virtualization is a technology that has huge advantages over the traditional shared hosting. Unlike the stifling shared hosting environment where each user shares the server with many people who have varying degrees of usages, VPS provides proper isolation and resource guarantee. And yet, VPS hosting hasn't achieved the popularity commensurate with its tremendous potential. One of the key reasons for the lack of mass scale adoption of VPSes had been the minimum memory barrier, where you would need a minimum of 256MB to run even a couple of websites. A VPS owner have to run his own copies of all the programs, and this naturally leads to heavy ram requirement leading to a high cost of entry.
HostInABox is based on softwares that have proven themselves to be stable, scalable and yet are capable of running on considerably less memory when compared with their more mainstream counterparts.
"HostInABox is a testament to the true power of the Unix Platform," said K T Ligesh, CTO Lxlabs. "By judicously choosing the applications, we were able to create an platform comprising of softwares that are not only well proven, but also able to satisfy a very specific and extremely narrow requirement, and yet without compromising on the functionality."
Key Features of HostInABox:
- Based on lighttpd, djbdns and pure-ftpd. Lighttpd, already powering more than 1.4 million websites, and growing at more than 100% per month, is fast becoming webserver of choice for high volume website hosting.
- Feature complete: has http, https, smtp, pop, imap, webmail, mysql, php, cgi, dns, spam, ftp, crond, directory protect and mailing list
- 9MB RSS and 15MB memory usage on bootup on openvz, 25MB Run time usage.
- Based on php5 and mysql5
- Scale to million hits per day using fastcgi
- Blazing php performance using php-fastcgi
- Per domain configuration of cgi or fcgi
- Advanced Backup/Restore
- Parked/Redirected Domains
- Integrated application Installer with Growing list of applications (39)
For the VPS vendors, HostInABox, with price ranges similar to traditional shared hosting, provides a transparent upgrade path for their existing shared hosting customers, who are looking a little more control over their hosting, and thus opens a completely new stream of revenue, HostInABox is tightly integrated with hyperVM and a VPS provider can provision a hostInABox VPS with just a click of a button.