Dallas, TX (PRWEB) March 16, 2007
Automating read-backs may seem hard to believe, but Veriphy Lab™, the new critical test result management (CTRM) solution from Vocada, Inc., does that and a whole lot more.
Veriphy is the market-leading solution for CTRM and already is in use by 125 hospitals nationally. The radiology community was the first to embrace CTRM as a technology-based strategy to improve patient safety and staff productivity, but hospital labs now are beginning to embrace the solution, as well.
Vocada will introduce its new Veriphy Lab™ solution at the annual meeting of the Clinical Laboratory Management Association (CLMA) March 25-27 in Houston (booth #1045). Some hospitals couldn't wait that long, though, and have implemented Veriphy ahead of the pack. These innovative leaders nationwide include:
Henry Ford Health Systems (MI)
Wishard Health Services (IN)
Memorial Hermann (TX)
Bon Secours St. Francis (SC)
Grady Health System (GA)
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (PA)
Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (CA)
A clinical lab at a big urban hospital can easily average 1500 to 2000 critical and urgent critical value reports per month. Beyond the obvious productivity issues in communicating critical values, read-backs by the recipient have become a major concern of both clinicians and the Joint Commission. The read-back of a critical value must be done and it must be documented. Paper-based manual systems simply are inadequate for the job. Meanwhile, patient lives are on the line.
Veriphy Lab™ automates the process of communicating critical and urgent lab values - customized for each hospital -- in a closed-loop system. Using simple voice and computer prompts, the hosted Veriphy system:
- Enables the lab tech or physician to create and send a message only once;
- Allows the sender to add a voice comment to the critical value message;
- Actively notifies the nurse and/or ordering clinician that a critical or urgent lab value is pending;
- Indicates by color code whether the value is of a critical or urgent nature;
- Allows the recipient to process the information in real time by phone or PC;
- Prompts and records the nurse's read-back of the result, and even continues prompting, if necessary, until the read-back is correct;
- Verifies to the sender that the message was received and read back correctly;
- Escalates the notification if necessary;
- Monitors and tracks the communication process;
- Documents the entire communication process;
- Stores the communication record in a searchable archive for years, and
- Automates compliance with Joint Commission standard for critical results communication.
And, like all Veriphy products, Veriphy Lab not only does all this but also provides hospital management with a real-time picture - in a web browser -- of how well or poorly a department or individual physician is doing in meeting established goals for turnaround times.
"Veriphy eliminates a blind spot for a key performance indicator," said Thomas White, co-founder and executive vice president of Vocada. "Now hospitals have visibility and actionable data about the communication of critical values, and it makes a big difference for patients, hospitals, and clinicians."
About Vocada, Inc.
Vocada's Veriphy™ critical test result management solution is the only enterprise solution for communicating critical test results from hospital diagnostic departments to ordering clinicians. Using a patented, hosted system, Veriphy automates and verifies communication of critical test results in a real-time, assured and trackable solution, simultaneously enhancing patient safety and boosting clinical staff productivity. The privately held, Dallas-based company was founded by brothers Peter and Thomas White, who were previously involved with other innovative and successful technology ventures. The company introduced its first product, VoiceLink™, predecessor to Veriphy, in 2004. For more information, visit http://www.vocada.com.
# # #