New York (PRWEB) March 22, 2007
ZAPmedia today honors Women's History Month with the publication of its debut title, 1919 - Misfortune's End. Written by award-winning author Paula Phelan, the novel explores the lives of influential women who changed the way we live today.
In 1919, the year in which women secured the right to vote, women across the country realized they had a long way to go before the job would be complete. 1919 - Misfortune's End explores the issues of women's emancipation from the viewpoint of a seasoned campaigner for the cause. In this work of historical fiction, women's roles in healthcare, education, innovation, entertainment and politics are explored in depth.
1919 - Misfortune's End highlights the significant contributions women made in that pivotal year, including:
Politics/Healthcare: (In 1919 women's health was a political topic)
- Jeannette Rankin - congresswoman before women had the right to vote
- Alice Paul - responsible for the introduction of the 19th Amendment
- Virginia Woodruff - the first woman to run for president
- Jane Addams - the most influential person in the country (including presidents)
- Emma Goldman - agitator for women's rights, who was eventually deported
- Margaret Sanger - founder of Planned Parenthood
- Madame Walker - the first female African American millionaire
- Beluhla Henry - African American inventor and competitor to Thomas Edison
- Helen Keller - performed on the vaudeville circuit
- Mae West - influential playwright and actress
- Howard University - dedicated to providing African American women with quality education
1919 - Misfortune's End is currently available through its publisher, ZAPmedia, as well as on Amazon.com.
ZAPmedia is a boutique publisher of books, art and Web content located in New York City. Its primary goal is to identify and promote the works of new authors and artists that have exceptional and original talent, a vast wellspring of creative potential and are just beginning to find their voice and audience. ZAPmedia can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.zapmedia.com.
# # #