Boca Raton, FL (PRWEB) March 26, 2007
April Fools' Day is just around the corner, but consumers shouldn't let themselves get fooled when it comes to common myths about the causes and cures of hair loss.
"Hair loss is an important health issue for millions of American men and women, and they need accurate medical information in order to make informed decisions about their treatment options," said Alan J. Bauman, M.D., a leading U.S. hair restoration physician.
Dr. Bauman is a top U.S. expert on hair loss who's heard the full range of hair loss myths, rumors and mistakes from the hundreds of male and female patients he treats every year. According to Dr. Bauman, the five most common hair loss myths are:
(1) "MYTH": Hair loss can be predicted by looking at your mother's father. ("The Truth": Baldness is inherited, but it's a combination of genes passed on from both the mother's and father's side of the family.)
(2) "MYTH": Hair loss stops after a certain age. ("The Truth": Hair loss is a progressive trait that doesn't stop at any particular age. Regardless of whether a person still has a full head of hair or thinks they've lost all they can, hair loss can increase over time.)
(3) "MYTH": Special shampoos that "unclog" hair follicles can prevent baldness. ("The Truth": There is no scientific proof that follicles can actually "clog" and prevent hair growth.)
(4) "MYTH": Wearing a hat or helmet can cause hair loss. ("The Truth": Headwear like hats and helmets have no effect on hair loss. However, heavy hairpieces that are attached to existing hair by weaves, tape or glue can sometimes lead to hair loss called "traction alopecia.")
(5) "MYTH": Brushing or massaging the scalp can reduce hair loss. ("The Truth": There is no scientific proof that brushing or massaging the scalp to improve circulation will prevent or reduce hair loss.)
Over 80 million American men and women suffer from hair loss, and they spend about $2 billion on treatments each year. For more information about the causes and treatments of hair loss, visit Dr. Bauman's website at http://www.baumanmedical.com or read a recent health blog from NBC Today Show's Janice Lieberman at http://consumersmarts.ivillage.com/home/2007/03/baldness_cures.html.
ABOUT DR. BAUMAN
Alan J. Bauman, M.D., founder of Bauman Medical Group in Boca Raton, Florida, is a top U.S. medical expert on hair loss and restoration for men and women, including eyelash, eyebrow and scalp transplants, and laser therapy. Dr. Bauman is a diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery and a featured lecturer at major medical conferences. Websites: http://www.baumanmedical.com -- http://www.baumanblog.com -- http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alanbauman