We could not imagine any better way to finish off this first year than by sharing the work of this incredible collection of artists.
Charlottesville, VA (Vocus) April 11, 2007
The inaugural Look3 - Festival of the Photograph will put an exclamation point on "3 Days of Peace, Love and Photography" with a grand finale event showcasing new work by some of today's leading photographers.
After 3 days of events including in-depth sessions with William Albert Allard, Sally Mann, and Eugene Richards, "WORKS" - set in a 3,000 seat outdoor amphitheater - will feature massive projections of photographs by world-renowned talent. Featured artists will include:
Debbie Fleming Caffery
David Alan Harvey
As an added bonus, National Geographic photographer Sam Abell will recount captivating stories in a segment called "Photographers' Lives."
"We could not imagine any better way to finish off this first year than by sharing the work of this incredible collection of artists." said Michael "Nick" Nichols, famed National Geographic photographer and co-executive director of the festival. "This night, just like this whole weekend, will be all about passion and discovery, whether you are a photographer yourself or one of the millions who fuel us with your appreciation."
The three-day Look3 - Festival of the Photograph begins on June 7 at venues throughout Charlottesville. The Festival will provide an immersive experience for photographers and photography lovers that will feature exhibitions quite literally everywhere you turn, from traditional gallery spaces to storefront windows to the sides of buildings and even high in trees.
Other highlights of the weekend will include:
- INsight CONVERSATIONS, NPR correspondent Alex Chadwick will engage three of the finest photographers in the world today in "Inside the Actor's Studio" style onstage conversations about their lives and work . The schedule for the events is as follows: William Albert Allard (June 7, 7-9pm); Sally Mann (June 8, 4-6pm) and Eugene Richards (June 9, 4-6pm).
- SHOTS (Friday), a celebration of the Festival's beginnings as a backyard photo sharing party hosted by Michael Nichols. Shots will feature a collection of up and coming photographers selected by the Festival Board of Advisors.
- PAGES, a multiple-location show celebrating the year's best published work from around the globe, projected onto storefront windows and outdoor walls.
- MASTERS, special two-hour-long presentations of work by photography greats David Alan Harvey and Maggie Steber (Friday) and Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb (Saturday).
- YOURSPACE, an interactive exhibit which will allow festival attendees to exhibit their own work.
Nichols is co-executive director of Look3 - Festival of the Photograph, along with Jessica Nagle of Charlottesville. The project's Board of Advisors includes: Melissa Harris, Editor-in-Chief, Aperture Magazine, Kathy Ryan, Photo Editor, The New York Times Magazine, and David Griffin, Director of Photography at National Geographic Magazine.
For more information about the Festival, to purchase festival passes or to register for specific workshops and events, visit the Festival web site at http://www.FestivalofthePhotograph.org.
Andrew Owen 434.977.3687 or contact @ festivalofthephotograph.org
# # #