Users simply go to the page, navigate the box, and view, play, or download photos, documents, videos, and office files. It's that simple.
Palo Alto, CA (PRWEB) April 19, 2007
Box.net, a leading provider of free and premium web-based file storage and sharing services today announced the availability of Box Widgets, the newest addition to the Box.net service. The Box Widget turns any personal or corporate Web page into an intuitive file and digital media sharing center. For anyone who has already invested in a Web presence (personal or business Website, blog, Myspace profile, etc), Box Widgets allow them to leverage that investment by adding rich file publishing, subscription and sharing capabilities. A Box Widget adds value to any existing web page because of its ease of use, design flexibility and support of all popular file types.
Behind the scenes, Box.net automatically generates the HTML code necessary to embed the Box Widget into a web site: users simply copy/paste the code into their page and update the page. The flexible user interface allows consumers to share personal media such as photo albums, music libraries, and family video collections while also enabling small business users to securely distribute or collaborate on office documents and other file types directly from the Box Widget.
Features of the new Box Widget include:
- Easily embed Box Widgets into any Web page enabling users to share important documents and media files without having to leave that web page
- Box Widgets work with all file types (not just audio, video, image and office documents).
- Box Widgets support inline media playing and slideshow viewing so there's no need to launch additional players.
- Box Widgets can be customized to maintain a corporate web site's brand identity or a blog's look and feel.
- Ability to share files and collaborate within the user's Website without installing software or managing additional information technology.
- Password protection -- confidential folders and files can be password protected -- keeping files safe and secure.
- RSS Subscriptions -- users can subscribe to Box Widget feeds and be alerted to content updates.
"Since Box widgets integrate easily with any personal or corporate webpage, blog or Myspace profile, visitors of these sites do not have to change their behavior," said Aaron Levie, Chief Executive Officer for Box.net. "Users simply go to the page, navigate the box, and view, play, or download photos, documents, videos, and office files. It's that simple."
Uses for the new Box Widget include:
- Families and friends sharing photos, videos and music files right from their personal Webpage.
- Real estate agencies can easily post videos of homes on their branded Website with no need to launch a 3rd party video player.
- Consumers posting videos, music and documents on their Myspace profiles.
- Legal professionals confidentially storing, sharing and collaborating on documents with clients.
- Teachers and professors posting schoolwork and other assignments for students on a college-branded Website.
- Marketing/Advertising firms distributing creative files for clients.
- Business teams from disparate offices storing, sharing and collaborating on documents in a secure, reliable, password-protected space.
Levie went on to add that "Box Widgets are a major value-add for consumer web applications including online classified ads, web hosts, communities or auction sites, because their visitors can view and share any media without clicking away to another website."
Pricing and Availability
Box widgets are available for all free and paidBox.net registered users starting 4/9/07. Once published by a Box.net user to an external web page, box widgets can be used by anyone with a browser (IE6+, Firefox2+, Safari 2+) and the Adobe Flash Player 9+ plug in (free). Advanced functionality such as password protection, group collaboration and box customization are available for box.net customers who subscribe to the professional package for $19.95 per month or $199.95 per year.
Box.net (http://www.box.net) provides online file storage, sharing and collaboration services for any kind of digital file to more than 750,000 registered users, serving files to millions of people worldwide. The company enables individuals and small businesses to store, share, and access files from anywhere. Box.net's unique platform provides the ability for third-party applications, content providers, and device manufacturers to utilize its storage and sharing functions. Box.net is a privately held company headquartered in Palo Alto, CA, and is backed by venture capitalist firm Draper Fisher Jurvetson. Requests for additional information can be sent to info @ box.net .