Bellingham, WA (PRWEB) April 23, 2007
PIER System, provider of the innovative online communications platform PIER (Public Information and Emergency Response), today announced plans to host an online conference to discuss the topic of university notifications during emergency situations. The conference will take place Wednesday, April 25, at 11:00 a.m. (Pacific Time). University Communication and Information Technology managers are encouraged to attend and participate in this online discussion.
Campuses across the nation are taking time to evaluate their own crisis plans, and their ability to notify students and staff in the midst of an emergency situation, following the recent Virginia Tech tragedy. The online conference will address this urgent issue with university communication and IT managers from some of the largest universities in the nation.
Discussion leaders for the conference include:
- Wendy Adair, Vice President of University Relations at University of Houston
- Eric Gerber, Director of University Communication at University of Houston
- Jim Savage, Assistant Manager of IT services at University of Houston
- John Lawson, Vice Provost for Information Technology & CIO at Western Washington University, and former head of IT at Tulane University during Hurricane Katrina
- Gerald Baron, CEO of PIER System
Additional speakers from the University of North Carolina are also anticipated to participate as discussion leaders.
Topics to be discussed in the conference include:
- Full spectrum communication management--why a simple alert is not enough
- Integrated SMS messaging--how SMS messaging can be a part of a complete notification process
- Social Media--the role of social media in student notifications, including Facebook, and processes for integrating with other notification methods
- The 4 Ps of preparation--how Policies, Plan, People and Platform need to come together for effective response
- Online communication control center--value of a centralized and virtual control center for the full spectrum of communication management
To participate in the conference, you must register at:
An e-mail invitation will be sent following registration, providing information on how to join the online conference. To facilitate discussion, a limited number of participants will be invited. If registration exceeds capacity for an effective discussion, a second online conference will be held later in the week.
For further information on this event, please contact Brian Sibley at (360) 333-1845, or email@example.com.
About PIER System
PIER System provides on-demand software and professional services to help organizations manage communications with critical team members, employees, public officials, media, concerned citizens and other stakeholders. The company's premiere product, PIER, is a web-based platform designed to help communication professionals and senior management communicate faster, more efficiently and more consistently. To learn more about PIER, visit http://www.piersystem.com.
# # #