Anyone can make time for exercise right at their desk. A few minutes of stretching reduces muscle tension, improves circulation and increases energy -- and it also feels good.
Phoenix, AZ (PRWEB) August 1, 2007
Spending hours behind a desk at the office leaves many professionals wondering when they will have time to squeeze in a workout. The Kronos Optimal Health WOW! (Work on Wellness) experience encourages employees to fit exercise into the workday to boost energy and improve health.
According to an analysis of workplace health screenings conducted by Kronos, a nationwide provider of workplace wellness programs, more than 70 percent of men and 50 percent of women are in the overweight or obese range. WOW! is designed to give employees fast, fun and easy ways to start improving their health.
Breon Michel, health educator for Kronos, says, "Anyone can make time for exercise right at their desk. A few minutes of stretching reduces muscle tension, improves circulation and increases energy -- and it also feels good." She offers these easy and effective DeskErcise stretches:
- Eye stretches. Keeping your head straight, look out of the corners of your eye to the right, then to the left, then down and finally up.
- Wrist stretches. Bend right wrist down while applying light tension to the top of the hand. Then, turn the right arm so palm is facing up. Bend fingers down and away from palm with fingers open and relaxed.
- Shoulder shrugs. Shrug or lift the tops of your shoulders up toward your ears. Hold the position for 2-3 seconds and then relax your shoulders.
- Neck stretch. Slowly turn your head as far to the right as is comfortable and hold. Repeat to the left. Next, drop your chin gently toward your chest. Do not push on your head with your hands.
- Hamstring stretch. Sit back in a chair with the lower back supported. Place your hands under the right knee area and slowly lift up the leg with the knee bent towards the chest.
- Abs. Sit on the edge of a chair, arms extending in front. Keeping your back straight, contract the abs and slowly lower the torso towards the back of the chair. Hold 2-3 seconds and repeat 15 times.
- Bicep curl. Hold water bottle in right hand and, with abs in and spine straight, contract the abs and slowly lower torso towards the back of the chair. Hold 2-3 seconds and repeat 15 times.
- Posture perfecter. Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to the floor. Squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you gently press your elbows back. Hold for five seconds, then release.
Some simple exercise band stretches that can be done at work include:
- Chest press. Place the exercise band across the back of your shoulder blades, grasping the ends with both hands. Extend the arms forward at chest height, pressing away from the body with your elbows at right angles.
- Tricep kickbacks. Sitting, place the center of the exercise band under your feet. Grasp the ends of the band with each hand. Leaning forward slightly, slowly tighten the back of your arm and push your forearm down and back until arm is straight.
- Front raises for shoulders. Standing, step on one end of the exercise band with one foot. Grab the other end of the band with one hand. Keeping a slight bend in the arm and palm facing the ground, raise hand up and out in front of the body, parallel to the floor.
- Leg press. Seated, place the center of the band under your left foot, grasping each of the ends in each hand. Keep your right foot on the ground. Keeping your elbows bent at your sides, extend left leg by pushing the foot out and away from your body.
Kronos Weight Management is a program developed by physicians, nutritionists, psychologists and exercise physiologists to help people achieve and maintain a healthy weight. The interactive program, based on medical research and behavioral change therapies, consists of educational group coaching meetings or convenient Web classes with Kronos health educators. Each program participant receives a physical assessment and personalized action plan for how to live well and stay motivated.
About Kronos Optimal Health Company
Kronos Optimal Health Company provides optimal health products and services for consumers, employer groups and healthcare providers. Its mission is to help people live as healthy as possible throughout their lives. Kronos Optimal Health Company employs more than 80 professionals in the fields of science, medicine, technology, customer service, sales and marketing. Corporate offices are located in Phoenix. Kronos business units include Kronos Corporate and Community Wellness and Kronos Optimal Health Centre®.
# # #