Richmond, VA (PRWEB) September 20, 2007
What do the Kentucky Derby, whale tracking, and a two million pounds of ice have in common? They're all related to items available in an upcoming auction to benefit spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) research.
Fight SMA (http://www.fightsma.org), an international nonprofit organization working to accelerate a cure for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), today released a list of exciting and unique auction items that will be available at its 5th annual "SMAsquerade" auction event. The event, which this year is titled SMAsquerade: Make Tracks!, will be held on October 13, 2007.
Spinal Muscular Atrophy is the leading genetic killer of infants under two. The neuromuscular disease causes a wasting of muscles throughout the body. Children with the condition dramatically lose strength, movement and, in the worst cases, the ability to swallow and even breathe.
SMAsquerade 2007, presented by SunTrust, will feature live and silent auctions, as well as a raffle of Tiffany & Co. merchandise. It starts at 7:30 p.m. at the Thalheimer Pavilion at the Science Museum of Virginia, in Richmond. All proceeds go toward scientific research and raising awareness of spinal muscular atrophy.
"We've had a great deal of success in the past with this event, and with that success comes the challenge to make it even better each year," said Fight SMA President Martha Slay. "We met that challenge this year with the most interesting list of auction items we've ever had. We expect a fun night of fundraising for spinal muscular atrophy research!"
Here's a taste of some of the items "making tracks" in this year's live auction:
- Accommodations for three nights, and six box seats each for the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks, which is the day before
- A thrilling eight-day whale tracking adventure for two in Baja California and the Sea of Cortez with Lindblad Expeditions, starting February 23, 2008. National Geographic senior editor Don Belt and National Geographic photographer Annie Griffiths Belt will accompany the auction winners.
- Make tracks in two million pounds of ICE in Nashville, Tennessee. The winner of this auction will receive an incredible three night stay for four at the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, TN, from Thursday, December 20 to Sunday, December 23, 2007. The package includes a long list of experiences, including tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular starring the Rockettes and a tour of the Country Music Hall of Fame.
More details about auction items and the event are available on the Fight SMA website, at http://www.fightsma.org/index.php?smasquerade-2007.
Corporate supporters of this year's event include:
- Presenting Sponsor: SunTrust
- Live Auction Sponsor: Dominion
- Silent Auction Sponsor: In Your Ear
- Audio Visual Sponsor: New Market Corp.
- Entertainment Sponsor: AMF
- Decorations Sponsor: Children's Wear Digest
- Venue Sponsor: Chesapeake Capital
Tickets and additional corporate sponsorships are still available. For more information, visit the Fight SMA website or call (804) 515-0080.
Fight SMA is accepting proxy bids for the items available during the live auction. For more information, please call (804) 515-0080.
Members of the media are invited to attend the event. Please call or email the contact given above if you wish to cover the event.
About Fight SMA
Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, Fight SMA (also known as Andrew's Buddies) is an international nonprofit group dedicated to accelerating research for a treatment or a cure for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), a neuromuscular disorder that kills more babies than any other genetic disease. For more information on spinal muscular atrophy and Fight SMA, please visit http://www.fightsma.org.